three

Loki's words wouldn't leave me that night. I curled in my bed under a thin blanket. He was right. I did choose the Avengers what seemed like an eternity ago. A small smile played on my lips as I remembered the first time I had met the original team.

I was only about nine or ten, woken by the ongoing arguing coming from directly below my bedroom. "Daddy?" I whispered, peaking out from behind the door frame. I was barefoot, and in my purple nightdress. I gaped at the six strangers, half of them glaring daggers at my father. "Daddy what's going on?:

"Oh for god's sake," I distinctly remembered Tony muttering before facing me. "Hi, honey. I'm busy right now. I'll have JARVIS read you a story if you run back up to bed, yeah?"

"Who's that?" A man asked, staring at me. He was wearing a rather strange ensemble of a tight red and blue suit and carrying a large round shield. I recalled smiling at him hesitantly, which he returned without a beat.

"My daughter," Tony sighed.

"You have a daughter?" A woman spoke up. I thought she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She had flaming red hair and calculating blue eyes. "Fury, did you know about this?" She addressed a man with an eyepatch. "Yes. Tony joined the team under contract that S.H.I.E.L.D would not expose her to the public until she was of age," The man replied.

My eyes darted the other two men in the room. The man beside Fury seemed the most normal. He wore glasses and had greying black curls. If only I knew how much trouble Bruce Banner was going to cause me in the future.

And the remaining man scared me the most. He was overwhelmingly tall and sported metal armor topped with a red cape. But upon catching me staring, he waved with a large smile, and I immediately relaxed. I remembered noting that I liked his hair.

Clint, of course, had been under Loki's power at the time and was not present in my life until a good while later.

"Well it's out of the bag now, isn't it?" Tony huffed. He took my hand and led me closer to the team. I hid myself behind his body, glancing out shyly. "Who are you?" I whispered. My dad and the heroes exchanged looks. "We're here to help your dad with.. an issue," Bruce worded delicately. It didn't take me long to realise the 'issue' was Loki himself.

"Don't be scared," Steve murmured, kneeling down. He noticed me staring at his shield and smiled. "Do you want to hold it?" He asked. I looked up at him and nodded once, my cheeks reddening.

He handed me the shield carefully and I dropped a little from the sheer weight. "Wow," Steve grinned. "You look ready to fight some bad guys now."

I ducked my head, a little overwhelmed with having so many people watching me. "And look," Nat squatted as well, holding out a black cube. "I have a nice little taser you can electrocute your enemies w-"

"Oh, I'll hold onto that for you, honey," Tony interrupted, shooting Natasha a look. He snatched the taser away and pocketed it. "Why don't you run up to bed, Maze. Give the Cap back his shield..?"

Steve held out a hand and I handed him the red and blue metal. "Bye.." I waved at the group, slightly more comfortable, and walked towards the elevator. A large hammer sat on the floor, and I looked down at it curiously, briefly attempting to read the strange notches on the side. "Who's is this?" I asked, wrapping my hand around its handle and lifting it right off the ground.

Since then, the Avengers had practically raised me. Driving me to school, cooking, cleaning; the regular parenting along with the occasional teaching me how to spar.

My recollection came to an abrupt end as I realised my pillow was wet with my tears, and I brushed the remaining liquid off my cheeks impatiently. They did nothing that night, I reminded myself. They watched as you packed your bags and left. Nobody tried to stop you.

Flipping my pillow to its dry side, I closed my eyes, falling into restless sleep.

The next morning, the sun shone brightly directly on my bed as it did every morning from my room's solitary window. I groaned, attempting to roll away from the light but, already being on the edge of the bed, tumbled onto the floor.

"Seems about right," I muttered, tossing my blanket back up. I glanced nervously at my closet. "..A.N.D.R.E.A?" I asked hesitantly, half hoping the voice wouldn't respond.

"Good morning, Maze," She chirped. "You have not activated me in a while. Would you like me to update all systems?"

"Sure, go ahead," I sighed. "Oh and iron me an outfit while I grab breakfast. I'm going to school today."