twelve

I rolled out of bed excitedly. "I need to go interrogate them!" I said, rushing out of the hospital room. Steve ran after me.

"But you're still on bed-rest," He said.

"Don't give me that crap captain," I snapped, knocking twice on Tabia's door. It was opened almost immediately.

I gestured for her to follow me and the three of us made our way into the elevator, Tabia and I still in hospital gowns. "I have a theory that-" I began, but Tabia smiled softly.

"The walls aren't exactly sound-proof, Maze," She said.

"Oh. Oh," I came to the realisation that she must have heard my rant about my father as well. "He can put twenty-three different shower settings but he can't soundproof the rooms?" I hissed to Steve. He knew exactly who I was referring to.

The elevator opened onto the 'discipline floor,' as it was nick-named. It contained a room stocked with the best weaponry money could buy, an interrogation room for criminals, a training room, and a 'time out corner' my dad had built specially for Peter when he kept using his suit for entertainment.

Steve, Tabia and I burst into the interrogation room where Nat, Bruce and Sam were gathered around the three assassins who were handcuffed to the table.

"Uh uh," Bruce said immediately. "No way. You two are on bed-rest. Steve, I thought you were going to keep an eye on them."

"Let the kid have a go. She has an interesting idea," Steve coaxed.

"They're not speaking," Natasha told us as Tabia and I took a seat opposite the criminals.

"That's fine. I'll talk," I said. "Who do you think that is?" I asked them, pointing to Tabia.

None of the assassins said a word. I rolled my eyes, bending to the ground so that I could reach my sock from where I pulled out yet another dagger. I slammed it down onto the table with no warning, missing one of the brute's finger's by a mere millimetre.

One of the assassins, the blonde, sneered. "Nice toy," He grinned, revealing a set of extremely yellow teeth. "But it's going to take a lot more than a blade to get us talking, sweetheart."

I opened my mouth to retaliate sharply but Tabia put a hand in front of me. "Honey, not vinegar," She murmured, and I watched in bemusement as the sweetest smile played across her lips with ease.

"Gentlemen, please," She spoke in a warm, sugary tone at the men that had shot at her mere hours ago. "We already know that you spread the virus to weaken Wakanda's forces. We know that you need the vibranium. I also came to the conclusion that you men aren't working alone. It takes more than three people to put the world's most advanced country on lockdown. Meaning, you work for a very powerful organisation, yes?" Her eyes brushed past each assassin and they squirmed slightly in their seats, not knowing what she was getting at.

"What are going to do, princess? Call the police?" One of the men spoke.

"Oh no," She giggled. "That would be far too easy. If we were to, say, just leave you be, push you right out into the streets of New York under the rumour that you cooperated with the Avengers, what would your organisation think of that?"

The assassins were very noticeably sweating now. If this corporation was willing to put an entire country in danger for their own benefits, they clearly would not have an issue with killing three of their men. I glanced behind me, Sam catching my eye and we exchanged impressed looks.

"No!" The brunette criminal cried. "You can't do that."

"Right. Well why don't we start with who you work for?" Tabia asked.

But I wasn't paying attention to them anymore. I was staring very intensely at one of the assassin's watches. I pulled my dagger from the table's surface and swiftly sliced the watches' band of the criminal's wrist, ignoring his protest.

I snatched the circular metal part and peered into the glass, studying the small symbol etched in red behind the numbers. "Cap.." I muttered. "This look familiar to you?"

Steve took the severed watch from me gingerly, his eyes widening at the sight.

'What is it, Steve?" Sam asked, stepping forward.

"Hydra," Cap said. "They work for Hydra."

And the blood-red skull seemed to stare right back at us.