twenty-four

"No, no," I griped. "The banner needs to be above the doorway."

Sam and Nat exchanged looks before pulling the giant 'Happy Birthday' banner off the wall.

"Scott! What did I tell you? Get your tiny ass into the vents and find out where that whirring sound's coming from." I snapped my fingers at him and he sighed, pressing a button on his suit and disappearing.

"Wanda!" I gasped. The witch walked in, balancing dozens of plates and cutlery in the air with her red magic.

"You know what, just get them down on the table over th- Steve why haven't the tables got sheets on them yet?" I stormed over the soldier and snatched the plastic sheets from his hands.

"Olivia.." He warned. "Take a deep b-"
"Steve, I swear to god I am not standing for your Zen today. Now, are you going to help me decorate these tables or n-"

Tabia, who was decorating cupcakes with Shuri, looked up at me. "Alright," She said, walking to my side. "Why don't we take a lunch break?"

"Good idea," The entire room said simultaneously, Scott's voice agreeing from inside the vents.

I glared at them.

"Cmon!" Tabia tugged at my arm before I could snap back.

I grumbled, letting her drag me out of the room.

"What is going on with you, Stark?" She asked once we were out of earshot. The laugh in her voice was prominent.

"It's Peter's birthday tomorrow," I said. "Doesn't he deserve the perfect party?"

"We all know his perfect party would be at the trampoline park," She replied. "And why does this even matter so much to you? Toss out some Caprisuns and jellos and you should be set."

"Alright, that's enough," I said, but my lips were pressed together, muffling a laugh. "Peter isn't a child. He can be mature.."

"When Ben 10 can't get his watch to work?"

A chuckle managed to escape from my firmly pursed mouth.

"Seriously, Stark. Why are you so wound up about a birthday party?"

I chewed my bottom lip. "I owe it to him," I said quietly.

"Why?"

"I.. well we've already established where this came from," I pointed to my hickey (Although it may have been hard to see by then after being covered with layer after layer of concealer which was a must to avoid Steve's lectures).

"You feel bad about.. letting him give you a hickey? Geez, Stark. How bad of a kisser are you?"

I glared at her.

"Alright, I'm sorry. Lay it on me." Tabia tilted her head.

"I.. I don't know why I did it."

"Kissed him?"

I nodded.

"Oh..." She murmured.

"I mean, I could see I was losing him. He poured all his feelings out and all I could tell him was 'no'. He's my best friend and I knew nothing would be the same if I walked out of his room so I.."

"Did you do it?"

"What?"

"It."

"No! Well, Thor interrupted so maybe I would have eventually.." I ducked my head. "And it wouldn't have been for the right reasons."

"You don't owe Peter anything, Stark," Tabia took my forearm gently. "So you don't like him the way he likes you? It happens."

"I just.." I closed my eyes. "I really just feel like beating something up."

Tabia raised her eyebrows then grinned. "That can be arranged."

*

"First down for ten seconds loses," Tabia said, adjusting her gloves.

"I know how to spar," I huffed.

There were two boxing rings in the Avengers tower. One, triply enforced with steel and cement for the super soldiers, Gods and scientists that turn green when their angry, and the other, normal one 20 feet by 20 feet ring.

Tabia and I, not being insane, stood in the normal one, facing each other. We had agreed on no head gear, traditional boxing rules but the face was off limits for personal reasons.

"Theres no-one to ring the bell," I said. "Throw the first punch."

"No, why don't you." Tabia smiled courteously. I narrowed my eyes.

"I insist."

"No, please.."

"Tabia. Just throw the p-"

A swift blow struck my stomach and I stumbled back, gasping slightly for air. "Tabia!" I wheezed.

"You insisted," She said, the corner of her lips twitching with amusement.

I cocked my head. If that's how she wanted to play...

I pounced, fist positioned for her abdomen but she caught my punch in her hand, twisting it promptly. Seeing the opportunity in the close proximity, I swung a foot around her own and slammed it backwards. She tumbled to the floor and I yanked my fist from her grasp.

Tabia sprung almost immediately to her feet. She bent down, gripping a section of the long skirt she was wearing and ripped it a slit. "Needed some space," She told me.

Her arm struck without warning. I ducked, catching it. She knocked her elbow back, right into my neck.

I hissed, spinning her around before throwing her towards the perimeter. She sprung off the ropes, taking a sharp somersault and slamming a foot to my chest.

I fell back, but not before grabbing blindly at the air. Managing to grasp Tabia's arm, we both tumbled to the floor, her body pressing onto mine.

We stared at each other, face inches apart. Her soft breath tickled my cheek and our noses brushed for a moment. I could hear my heart thumping in my ears, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering. 

Tabia cleared her throat. "Good game, Stark."

I imitated her. "Yes. Good game. Very good game. We should take a shower- you should take a shower! I meant we should take showers like separately."

I scrambled from underneath her body. "Well.. I better get going." I ducked under the ropes of the ring and tried to step out.

"So you're just going to admit defeat?"

I whirled around sharply. "Excuse me?"

Tabia smirked. "You just lost, Stark."

"We were both down."

"Yeah went down on each other but-"

"Alright I wouldn't put it like that," I said.

There was a small silence before both Tabia and I cleared our throats again loudly. My cheeks flared and I could see hers darkening.

"Yeah, no. You're right. We both lost,' Tabia said quickly.

Our eyes met for a moment. "I'm gonna go now," I muttered, and rushed towards the door.

"Rematch. With spears, next time," she called behind me.

I paused, unable to stop the grin creeping up on my face.