nineteen

"You're going to release him. He's going to live in the tower with everyone else like the person.. god.. he is, not like an animal in his cage," I said.

"That's not happening," Tony replied, shaking his head. "I'll cut you a bargain. He can have walking privileges in the garden for an hour once a day."

"Dad! He's not a dog!"

"He's also not stable," He said.

I opened my mouth to snap back but Steve took a step forward. We were still in the lab. Shuri had left to celebrate the findings with Tabia, but Tony, Bruce, Steve, Peter and I were still gathered in the room, arguing over Loki's freedom.

"Why don't we discuss this like adults?" Steve suggested, placing a hand on my shoulder. I smacked it away a little more aggressively then I meant to.

"Dad isn't an adult," I said snidely. "He's an egotistical preteen with an Armani suit."

"Alright, let's talk like adults," Tony leaned his elbows on his knees, hands crossed. "My legal team will be in contact with you shortly. My lawyers are the best in New York and they will crush you like a knat between their fingers-"

"My lawyers are the best in America and if you think for a single second that I will take pity n you because of your crumbling age you are sorely mistaken, old m-"

"My age isn't going to keep me from suing you so hard you won't have two pennies to rub toget-"

Our voices were increasing in volume rapidly, and it took a moment for me to realise Peter had his hands firmly around my forearms and Steve had one arm in font of Tony's chest.

"Alright, alright!" Steve said. "Enough from the billionaires, I think. Peter, why don't you explain why you and Maze want Loki out of his cell?"

"How about you don't free him?" Peter prosed.

"Peter!" I whined, shocked.

"Interesting. Continue," Tony said, shooting me a smug look which I returned with an extremely mature and elegant sticking out of my tongue.

"I mean don't free him completely, yet. Test the waters first. Take it slow. Introduce him to the world when he's not trying to .. you know.. dominate it," Peter worded slowly. "And what better way to test if he's ready to be out in public than in a room full of superheroes? My birthday party's in a couple days. Why not then?"

I nodded, thoroughly impressed. Sometimes I forgot Peter had an IQ of 180.

Steve and Bruce glanced at each other. "That's not.. a bad idea, I suppose," Bruce murmured.

Peter and I fist bumped behind our backs.

"..but one toe out of line and he's back in the cell, deal?" The scientist added.

"Deal!" We cried, then faced Tony.

"Please dad?" I begged. "Please, please, please?"

"Absolutely not! He's dangerous. Somebody could get hurt. Loki is not to step one foot outside of confinem-"

I crossed my arms. "I'll tell Pepper it was you who hate her thin mints."

"..But people can change. I guess we'll be seeing Loki at your party, Peter!" Tony said hurriedly.

"Yes!" Peter and I shrieked.

"Now get the hell out of here. I know you're dying to watch Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse on max volume," He waved a hand towards the door.

We grinned. Peter took my hand and dragged me out the room, both of us giggling loudly.

*

"BABY!" I shrieked. "LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU!"

"LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU!" Peter sang the next lyric on top of his lungs.

"AND IT'S BREAKING MY HEART, BUT WHAT CAN I DO?" We both bellowed.

"YO SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE I CAVE YOUR CEILING!" Sam yelled from the floor directly above us. It never did please him that he had two obnoxious teenagers residing under his bedroom.

Peter and I laughed, switching off his self-made record player.

We were in his room, Peter wearing my pink sparkly tube top and I in his sweater. It hung just above my knees where it was met on my shins with long, fluffy bed socks.

"We should give it a break," Peter said, flipping open his laptop. "Remember when he fired a laser through the floor because we stayed up all night having a 2000's movies marathon?"

"Of course," I said, climbing onto the bed beside him and leaning back on the piles of pillows he kept against the head board. "It missed my foot by about an inch."

Peter brought up a colourful rom com on his screen and placed it between us before plopping his head down next to mine.

He silently slipped an arm under my abdomen, pulling me closer to him. Despite being rather muscular, Peter was always soft to the touch, so I slung my legs over his torso, pressing my face to his chest and watching the movie contentedly.

Nat's words from earlier today unwelcomingly entered my mind. 'You're sure the kid returns your platonic feelings?' I mentally shook my head. It wasn't like that between Peter and me. And yet, I suddenly became extraordinarily aware that my tube top virtually covered nothing on Peter and that my hand was resting on his exposed abs.

 And the fact that I was wearing his sweater.

"You're so warm," He mumbled softly, running a hand through my hair.

No, no, no. We do this sort of thing all the time. We're just friends, I repeated silently.

Peter's hand came to a rest in the crook of my neck, where his fingers began tracing my collarbone ever so gently.

"Nope!" I yelped, tumbling out of the bed.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked, sitting up to pause the movie.

I hesitated. What if Natasha was wrong? Peter had never shown the slightest interest in me romantically. Not that I knew of, anyway. Then again.. I thought Billy Pike didn't like me in eighth grade, even after we'd made out under the monkey bars. "Nat said something really weird to me this morning and I can't get it out of my head." 

He blushed scarlet. "If you're talking about that Playboy magazine she found in my bag, Flash slipped it in there as a prank. I swear I only looked at it once!"

"What? No! I.." I took a deep breath. "Peter, do you think we'll ever be a couple?"