five

The three of us walked to our first class, Ned spouting off excitedly about his new lego set. Some of his other friends joined us and Peter pulled me back from the crowd. "How could you have given the tesseract to Loki?" He hissed.

"I wanted to piss off my dad," I whispered.

"You don't think stealing it in the first place was enough?"

"Oh, please. You all wanted me to come so that you could do your little sob story," I yanked my wrist out from his hold. 

"Maze. Did you think this through? Loki now has the capability to wreak havoc on every single planet," Peter rubbed his nose nervously. "Look, as much as I love him, Loki's track record isn't exactly spotless."

"He's changed," I insisted. "So what if he wants to have a bit of fun?"
"That tesseract has the ability to change timelines and realities!" Peter whispered. "You could have unleashed something serious just because you wanted to prove yourself to your dad!"

I glared up at him. "I gotta get to class," I muttered, and without another word, rushed up the hall.

My classes dragged me exhaustingly slow. Nearly every teacher told me, verbatim, that I 'had a lot to catch up on' and I 'was a senior now and need to put in more effort.'

By the time lunch arrived, I was convinced returning to school was a mistake. I shuffled to the cafeteria, grabbed a tray, piling it with food and sat at a table.

"Long time no see, Stack," MJ slid her tray beside mine.

My last name had been forged as 'Stack' at school. Nobody had to know I was a billionaire; so I lived as 'Maze Stack.'

"Where have you been?" She asked, flipping through a book.

"Being a supervillain," I muttered, resting my head in my hands.

"Hey, I thought we were going to be giving away our identities when the time was right," Peter said, sitting opposite me with Ned. I smiled feebly.

Both MJ and Ned knew about Peter and I, so there was no issue discussing the Avengers in front of them.

"You're not mad at me for screwing up the universe anymore?" I asked, picking apart a bread-roll. "I'm sure Loki won't.. wipe us all out," Peter said.

"And um.." I took a deep breath. "..how's my dad? After last night?"

"He's fine. Didn't even have to go to the hospital," Peter replied and I couldn't help my sigh of relief.

"What happened to Mr. Stark?" Ned asked.

"I.." I exchanged a glance with Peter. "I may have thrown Thor's hammer at him."

MJ and Ned both exclaimed in awe. "Wow. The one time I came over I nearly knocked myself out trying to pick that thing up," Ned shovelled yogurt into his mouth. "Hey, when can I come over again?"

Peter cleared his throat. "Anyways, guess who we have visiting us?" He turned me in a hurry.

"Who?" I chuckled.

"Remember T'challa? The guy from Wakanda?" Peter said.

"Yeah.. he laughed at my dad's technology," I recalled.

"Apparently all of Wakanda is under lockdown. Some kind of virus hit them and even their technology can't handle it. Anyway, T'challa's little sisters were out of the country when it happened and now they're staying with us until they figure out a cure."

"Oh, and on an even more interesting note, Steve's trying to grow a beard," Peter grinned. I spluttered.

 "He what?"

We spent the rest of lunch cackling at the idea of Cap with facial hair.

*

I had last period with Peter; science. It passed with neither Peter nor I burning anything down, which was a record. After class, we walked together out to the parking lot. "Wait, Maze, I have to tell you something," He whispered, pulling me to the side so I wouldn't be trampled by the waves of students.

I squinted into the parking lot. "Hey is that Nat's car?" I said, staring at a white convertible. It was easily spottable through the hundreds of second-hand cars students used.

"That's what I needed to tell y-"

"You told them about Loki?" I hissed.

Peter ducked his head, ashamed. "I'm sorry! What if he does something serious, they need to know."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Peter. This was just another way you found to suck up to my dad."

He bit his bottom lip. "No, I was seriously worried. Dr. Strange was pissed when he found out we let you take the tesseract. Would you please just come so we can see what he has to say?"

I crossed my arms."What if I refuse to go?"

"Maze.. please don't make this more difficult than it has to be," he mumbled. I scoffed.

"What could you possibly d-" I shrieked as Peter's arms swiftly wrapped around my waist, throwing me over his shoulder.

"Let me- Peter! What the hell are you doing?" I squealed, squirming as hard as I could. But fighting off somebody with super strength wasn't easy when you had no weapons. Peter began walking down the car park, keeping a firm hold on my legs. "Peter! I will kill you! I will kill you dea- oh good afternoon, Mr. Harvard," I smiled pleasantly at my English teacher as he shot me a weird look.

Students whispered and tried not to laugh as Peter continued to haul me across the road. "Peter!" I groaned. "Please let me go.." I narrowed my eyes. "Please.. you're hurting me." I whimpered. That got his attention. He stopped, loosening his grip.

Seeing my window, I slammed my knees into his chest, and as he crumpled in pain, I jumped to the ground and ran to freedom.

But a hand caught my wrist and pulled me back forcefully. "You're causing a scene!" Peter hissed, dragging me towards Nat's car. I whined like a child, throwing me head back to make it as difficult as possible for him to pull me across the asphalt. "I hope you know you're wrecking very expensive shoes!" I grumbled.

"Oh I'm sure little miss billionaire will be fine," Peter replied. We finally arrived by Natasha's car, who poked her head out the window. "Hurry up and get in," She said, pressing a button on the display board.

The back doors slid open automatically, and I huffed in protest as Peter pushed me in.

"I hate both of you," I grunted when Nat began to drive out the school.
"Noted," She said, glancing at me from her review mirror. "I gotta say, Maze. I thought being a verified genius's daughter would come into play when you gave the tesseract to a sociopathic serial killer."

I didn't reply, glaring out the window.

Nat pulled by the Stark Tower, sticking her hand out with her ID card at the front gate. The red light scanned it briefly and she was permitted to roll into the garage, parking next to the dozen other douchey cars my father owned.

"Move it," She called to us. "Don't make me tase you," She threatened when I didn't get up. I rolled my eyes, sliding out of the car.

I grumbled to myself, trudging to the elevator behind Nat and Peter, who kept throwing apologetic glances at me. I ignored him, stubbornly staring at my shoes.

The machine dinged as it arrived on the floor, and both Natasha and Peter took hold of one of my wrists, dragging me out into the living room.

Although this level was my dad's favourite TV area, and therefore very large; but still, it was rather cramped with the amount of people that crowded there. And every single one was glaring at me.