twenty-eight

Maze's POV:

The taste of coffee, alcohol and confusion mingled on our lips. I felt Tabia stiffen slightly in shock as I kissed her before pressing her full, soft lips to mine. Her hand fumbled to my hip, pulling me closer as my fingers made their way to tangle themselves in her black locks.

Our lips fit together in a warm, unfamiliar way, and when we finally separated for air, my heart was thrumming loudly.

I blushed, facing Thor and Steve, who stared at the pair of us with their mouths hanging open. I couldn't bear to look at Tabia. "See?" I squeaked. "Her, not Peter."

Speaking of, the boy was gaping at me, a mixture of shock and hurt fusing in his eyes.

The situation didn't have time to marinate in its own awkwardness. Friday's voice blared over the speakers, cutting out the pounding music. "Sir!" She called urgently. "Systems have detected an explosive device headed directly to this room in approxim-" She stuttered out with a high pitched shriek.

Isn't it ironic, the small mercies that emerge from horrific situations?

Screams erupted throughout the room, worried murmurs chattering like crickets. I was yanked from Tabia's grasp, two strong hands pulling me through the crowd. Steve and Thor shoved me past the dozens of people, Steve's other hand accompanying Tabia while Thor dragged Peter.

"You three! Get to the elevator!" Steve told us, shoving past guests rather uncharacteristically.

"Steve!" I gasped, pulling out of Peter's snaking arm around my waist. I pointed to a small speck approaching the lower in the dark sky outside.

It was like a reflex, the way he tore a table from the ground. He flipped it, simultaneously pushing Tabia, Peter and I under the hard wood.

"Everybody down!" He yelled.

And that was the last thing I heard before a long grenade crashed through the window and exploded with a an enormous boom.

*

When I opened my eyes slowly, nothing made sense. There was a constant ringing in my ears, the world blurry and unrecognisable before me. Where was I?

I was lying in a deep pile of rubble, piles upon piles of bodies aside me. But I wasn't quite ready to register that yet.

Until a familiar grunting and heavy breathing reached my ears.

Oh my god.

"Bruce!" My voice was hoarse and unstable. Through my pounding headache and blurry sight, I forced myself to sit up.

I gasped. The entire room had been demolished. Bits of furniture lay on the cracked ground along with shards of glass and splintered wood. My heart stopped beating momentarily as my eyes focused on a body before me.

"Peter!" I whispered. A trickle of blood was seeping from his nose, his eyes squeezed shut. "No no no.." I pulled on his shoulder roughly, flipping him over. A great sigh of relief escaped my lips. His chest was heaving up and down with laboured breath.

But I had no time to check on anyone else. If I didn't get to Bruce, not a single person in this room would survive.

With a grunt, I stood slowly. My knees bucked multiple times and I put my hands out to steady myself. I squinted around the room, finally spotting Bruce in the corner, propped up against a cracked wall.

"Bruce!" I cried hoarsely, tottering like a toddler towards him. "Hold on.."

I resisted to check for the pulse on every body I stepped over, some partially buried in rubble.

"Friday, are you there?" I called desperately, still climbing over mounds of destroyed property to reach Bruce.

"My.. systems.. have b- comprom-" Her voice stuttered in and out of a discarded speaker on the floor.

"Friday, I need medics here stat."

Her reply never came. All I could do was pray that my message had been received.

I was finally a couple metres from Bruce. His eyes were squeezed shut in pain and concentration, his chest heaving up and down. Loud grunts escaped his lips, a tinge of green snaking up his neck.

A gash, at least half a foot long, marked itself upon his torn jeans. I dropped to my knees, immediately ripping away at his pants to reveal the full injury.

Blood seeped heavily from the wound, tricking down his leg and pooling on the floor.

Bruce flinched violently at my touch, then faced me with wide eyes. "Maze!" His voice was shaking. "You have to get out of here! I'll kill you if you d-"

"Not a chance," I shook my head. "Bruce you have to fight it," I told him. "You hear me? You have to. Every single person in this room will die."

He nodded, straining for a moment. The green hue in his jaw lessened slightly.

I turned to my dress, promptly ripping away at its hem. With the piece of fabric in hand, I gingerly lifted Bruce's leg, wrapping it tightly around the gash.

"Not your pretty dress," He whispered, squeezing his eyes shut in pain.

I smiled slightly. "Just don't go green on me,  ok?"

"Okay," He replied. "Don't tell Loki it was my fault his present's ruined."

The blood flow was too strong. It almost immediately began seeping from the make-do bandage. I cursed under my breath, ripping another piece from my dress and tying it around his leg.

"Maze I.." Bruce's breaths were becoming deeper, more animalistic.
"Bruce, don't," I commanded, watching with horror as the green tint spread from his neck to his cheeks.

"Run!" He growled. His shirt and pants ripped into pieces, his muscles growing by the tenfold as the Hulk formed in front of me.

In a room full of unconscious people.