twenty

Peter's POV:

You know that feeling when you miss a step on the way down the stairs? It's like your entire stomach drops and it's never going to be normal again. The same feeling applies to eating a really good taco.

And that's how I felt when Maze asked me the question.

"Do you think we'll ever be a couple?"

My entire body froze, approximately six thousand, three hundred and seventy eight thoughts rushing through my mind, desperately trying to come up with a reply.

Did  I want to be with Maze? That's a good question. But the one that was more clear to me was who wouldn't want to be with Maze? She's the total package. Like that new Chipotle combo.

"Uhh.. mm.. I.." A series of words strung from my mouth.

Maze cringed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

Ouch. That one hurt.

I couldn't help but squirm in the sticky silence, only the sound of my Transformers clock ticking away on the wall. (The minute hand is Optimus Prime) Man, this crop top is uncomfortable. I slipped a few fingers under the hem, and pulled it over my head.

Maze raised an eyebrow. "Very appropriate, Peter."

My hand clenched around the scanty fabric and I blushed. "What? No! It's itchy.."

More silence.

"So.. do you?" Maze pressed gently. "Think of us as a couple?"

It's inconvenient how much Aunt May pops up in my head every time the chance of making a moral decision appears. Yeah, I know, May. Honesty is the best policy. *mental eye-roll.

"I.. I just assumed we would be, one day, I guess. I mean, we'd be perfect, right? We're already best friends and .. Maze, there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you."

She blinked at me, and just when it seemed like she was about to talk, she flopped down on the bed, looking slightly dazed.

"Wouldn't we?" I squeaked.

Maze sighed, and, with a split second of hesitation I probably wouldn't have picked up I didn't have heightened senses, she took my hand. "Honey," She murmured, brushing her thumb up and down my palm. "We probably would. And you are so, so sweet. But I.."

Isn't it funny how one word can make you feel? Like when someone says 'and?' when you tell a story that was exciting to you. Or when Mr. Stark says 'no' to inventing the world's first triple-laser beam. And when Maze said 'but' after hearing the words I'd waited to hear since I'd met her.

"..I can't really seeing it happening between us, Peter. You're just so special to me and I don't even know what I'd do if I lost our friendship."

"We wouldn't lose anything." I hated how pleading my voice sounded.

"Maybe. But I just can't risk it."

I ducked my head.

It wasn't as if I was expecting anything. I'd seen it from the start. Her eyes didn't light up the same way mine did when I saw her. Her stomach probably didn't flutter every time our hands brushed. And she definitely didn't stay up late thinking of me.

"I'm sorry, Peter," She whispered. My hand tightened around hers.

"Please don't say sorry," I mumbled. "This isn't your fault."

Another silence clung to the air.

"You should go."

"What?"

"I can't blame you for this.. but I really need space. Some time to think. Please?" I looked up at her through my eyelashes. I knew she wasn't the type to leave with something unaddressed. "Please, Maze?"

It broke my heart to see a tear form slowly in the corner of her eye. "No, you're right," Maze said quietly. "Goonight, Peter." She lifted herself up slightly to kiss my cheek ever so lightly. I squeezed my eyes shut at the feeling of her soft lips on my skin. Damn these spidey senses.

Maze slowly pressed another kiss on my face, lower on my cheek. And another, even lower. The next one was right on the corner of my mouth.

And nothing could have described the way I felt when her lips were suddenly on mine. Not even Chipotle's Chicken Burrito Bowl.