four

TW: Sexual Assault

I padded to the kitchen, pouring out a cup of coffee and searching my near-barren fridge.

I hadn't attended school for a good few weeks now, despite the borderline threatening emails I had received from my teachers. I scoffed to myself. I had stolen an alien cube from the world's mightiest heroes last night, but the thought of going back to school made me nervous.

"A.N.D.R.E.A, have groceries delivered today and stock the fridge," I called.

"Of course," She replied.

It was kind of comforting to have her around again. When I first moved in, I missed F.R.I.D.A.Y telling me what to do, so I installed A.N.D.R.E.A, Awesome Now Divine Remarkable Efficient Android.

"Your clothes are ready for you on your bed, Maze," A.N.D.R.E.A announced.

"Great, thanks," I tipped the rest of the coffee down my throat, yelped at my now burnt tongue before walking back to my bedroom.

A.N.D.R.E.A had chosen a navy blue argyle vest to wear with a black mini skirt, leather jacket and high socks. I slipped out of my pyjamas and changed, pairing the outfit with a short pearl necklace and multiple rings, then choosing a leopard print crossbody bag.

I stuffed the bag with textbooks, and upon checking the time, rushed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my makeup.

I brushed on light foundation, mascara and minimal blush with lip-rouge . Once that was done, I braided two mini plaits on either side of my hair and chose a pair of black leather Mary Janes

"Going to school, dear?" Patricia called. She was my elderly neighbour who watered her roses every morning. I grinned widely, suddenly excited, and flashed her a thumbs up. "Yeah! See you when I get back!" Then continued running up the road to the bus stop. I threw out my hand and the vehicle slammed its brakes just in time.

I boarded the bus cheerfully, even smiling at the cranky driver, who just huffed and told me to hurry up and take a seat.

Plugging in my earphones, I watched the houses drift, and the further we travelled, the more students could be seen walking their way to school. I glanced away to brush hair out of my face, and noticed a couple near the back doors of the bus.

On closer observation, the man and the woman may not have been a couple. He was pressed right against her back as she squirmed, obviously uncomfortable. Despite the bus having plenty of empty seats, the man stood firmly behind her, his hands around her waist as if pushing her to him.

I grit my teeth, watching his fingers sneak to her backside, giving a few sneaky squeezes. The young woman slapped his hands away, whimpering, but he immediately went back to caressing her.

"A.N.D.R.E.A," I muttered.

"Yes, Maze?" The voice responded in my earphones.

"Do a scan on that man."

There was a silence, then, "Alex Wilcox, forty three. Born in Houston, Texas but raised here, in New Yo-"

"Can you trace his social security number and have somebody write it down in every public bathroom you can find, please?" I hissed. Wilcox was now tracing patterns along the girl's back, reaching higher and higher as her squeaks of protest became more desperate.

"I.. cannot do that, Maze," A.N.D.R.E.A said.

"Fine," I scoffed, getting up from my seat. I waved at the bus driver's review mirror, pretending to be getting off at the next stop, and walked to the back exit, beside the Wilcox.

"Hi, can I just get past here please.." I smiled sweetly at the man, gesturing for him to move over. He grunted and shifted slightly, dragging the girl discreetly with him.

The bus rolled to a stop at a random road. "Oh, thank you, sir," I said. My smile dropped abruptly, and I reached up, wrapping my hands swiftly around Wilcox's head and slamming it against a bus pole. The girl gave a small shriek and stepped back, giving me enough room for me to spin him around and, just as the bus doors opened, give him a small push out into the open.

Wilcox tumbled onto a lawn, his nose bloody and eyes disoriented. "Never mind, wrong stop," I called to the driver, and the doors re-closed, right in the animal's face.

When I turned around, the three other passengers, all rather elderly citizens, were staring at me, mouths agape. I cleared my throat. "Is my hair all messy?" I asked the girl. She shook her head slowly, still in shock.

"Well, that's a relief," I murmured.

She didn't sit for the rest of the bus ride, so I stayed by her side, standing as the bus rattled on until it eventually came to stop right outside Midtown High School.

I took a shaky breath, peeking out the window to the towering building. The doors slid open once more and I stepped out. The bus started up again, and through the glass door, the girl waved goodbye shyly.

I walked as confidently as I possible could towards the school. Boisterous freshmen groups shoved past me, chattering loudly. I made my way to the entrance, where, as usual, I had to push several people to make it to the hallway.

Once I did, I peered around. Everything seemed exactly the same. Snobby popular girls gathered at their locker to share the newest news on their newest boyfriends, freshmen had their noses deep in books while our star football team went over their latest match, loud enough for the entire school to hear them, which, of course, was the intention.

"Maze?!" A voice called from behind me. I whirled around. Peter, in his dopey sweatshirts and backpack, stared in shock. I grinned uncertainly, raising an awkward hand.

He began walking towards me at an unusual slow pace, then sped up until he was running.

Peter slammed into me with full force, arms wrapping around my waist to hoist me around his hips. I groaned playfully, patting his soft hair. "I saw you yesterday, weirdo," I murmured.

"Yeah but I thought it would be ages until I saw you. Figured we'd have to put out something for you to steal again," He mumbled, and set me down after one final squeeze. "And I thought you weren't going to do school anymore. Remember? You put 'I don't give a flying f' on your attendance report?"

I laughed, beginning to lead us up the hall to my locker. I took Peter's hand, not caring that a nosy student would most likely see and start a rumour that we were a couple. In that moment, I was just happy to be back with my best friend. "I think I put something a little less PG, but yeah, I decided it was time to come back," I said.

We arrived by my locker, and I slipped my finger's through Peters warm ones to open it. "Really?" Peter crossed his arms. "What changed?"

I bit my bottom lip, exchanging some of my books around for the ones I needed on today's timetable. "Loki, actually. He came by last night."

"Loki?" Peter yelled excitedly. I shushed him, glancing around to ensure nobody had heard the outburst. No matter how much Peter and I loved the Demigod, people of New York were decidedly not as fond of him since the alien attacks.

"Yes. He asked how you were," I had to smile as Peter's grin lit up his entire face. ""...And.. I may have given him the tesseract."

Peter's grin immediately dropped. "You what?" He gasped.

Before I could answer, somebody came running up. "Oh my God! Maze! I thought you were gone for good!" Ned cried.

"Ned!" I beamed, hugging him. "How's it been?" I exchanged a look with Peter. We'll talk about it later, I communicated silently.

"Weird, when you're not around. Nobody to nearly set the lab on fire," He teased. I hit his shoulder playfully. "Oh, come on. You have Peter for that."