seventeen

Maze's POV

Peter scampered into the elevator just as the doors closed. "What are you doing?" I said, pulling on his sweater so it wouldn't get caught in the machine.

"I'm visiting Loki with you, obviously," He answered.

We walked out from the elevator as it slid to a stop on the 'discipline floor.' Brock Rumlow, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D was standing guard by the most reinforced cell of the tower. "Rumlow!" I smiled, waving.

He grinned back. "Hey, kid."

"What are you doing here?"

"Your father's requested for S.H.I.E.L.D agents to be on watch of this room from now on. It's my shift until twelve."

"Sounds fun," I raised my eyebrows.

"Duty calls," Rumlow shrugged. "Let me guess. You and the critter want to visit the Demigod."

I pursed my lips, suffocating a smile, as Peter sniffed beside me at the nickname. "Yes please."

The agent rolled his eyes playfully, turning back and typing in a code on the reinforced door's keypad. It swung open and Rumlow gestured for us to walk forward.

Peter took hold of my pinky as we stepped into the colder, darker cell. A wide glass dome sat in the middle of the room, containing Loki, standing extremely still in the centre.

He lifted his head at the sound of us walking towards him with a small smile before it dropped immediately, spotting something behind us. I turned my head to the direction he was staring.

Brumlow stood firmly at Peter and I's flanks, eyes trained on Loki.

"I really appreciate this, Rumlow. But could we have some privacy for a moment?" I asked.

"No can do, Miss Stark. I've been instructed to not let anyone be alone with.. it," Brock gestured to Loki who's jaw visibly tensed.

"I apologise-" The god murmured. Something I had noticed (and been greatly amused by) was Loki's ability to be polite, no matter the situation. He always began his sentences with 'Apologies' or 'I'm sorry to interrupt,' even when addressing a person he wildly disliked. "-but your voice sounds peculiarly familiar. Rumlow.. did you say your name was?"

Rumlow tensed, his fists clenching and unclenching slowly. "...I'd better wait outside," He whispered. With that, he turned his heels and marched back out the door.

"Well.. that was weird," I stared after the agent in confusion.

"Indeed," Loki said, narrowing his eyes. "I can't seem to recall where I recognise him. Say, was he ever in an episode of 'Keeping up with the Kardashians?' It's a rather fascinating show I came across while being on earth.."

Peter and I grinned. "Brumlow.. being on a reality show..? That would be interesting," Peter chuckled.

"Loki watching a reality show is even more interesting," I teased, smiling fondly at the god.

He frowned. "Kim being cheated on by Kanye is no laughing matter," He scolded. "And you have no idea what Kylie has to go through on a daily basis. Their lives may seem glamorous but you have no idea what goes on behind closed d-"

Loki stopped abruptly, suddenly realising he was in the midst of two teenagers instead of two house mums. "Anyway. Why have you come to visit me?"

I sighed, stepping forward. "I just wanted to thank you. For saving my life."

Loki shrugged. "It was nothing."

"You're lying straight through your teeth," I said with an eye roll. "I know you're not a huge touchy feely guy- god- and neither am I, frankly. But it means a lot that you would give away something you've wanted your entire life for me."

He studied me for a moment. "You know.. you are the one person I am absolutely sure I love, Stark."

Peter gave a squeak of indignation. Loki shifted his gaze from me to him, his eyebrow curved in amusement. "And you, of course, arachnid."

"Wouldn't kill you to say it once in a while," Peter muttered.

Loki opened his mouth to reply but a blare over the speaker interrupted him. "Attention, people living off my money," Tony's obnoxious voice reverberated over the room. "I have been informed that two toddlers have been crawling around in 'bad-guy room c.' If they could please exit and find themselves to 'labratory number: save the world.' Assistance can and will be provided if these infants require help pressing the buttons on the elev- Bruce gimme back the microphone!"

A scuffling noise rustled over the speaker before it came to a complete stop.

"Dickhead," I snorted.

"I hope that Bruce fellow hulks out and flattens him," Loki said.

"We better get up there, Maze," Peter tugged on my arm.

I grimaced. "I guess so. Sorry, Loki."

The god tilted his head. "Do not worry, midgets. I am perfectly amused here. Besides, my break out plan should be commencing in about an hour."

Peter and I glanced at each other with wide eyes. Upon seeing our disappointment, Loki quickly added, "It won't be bringing harm to anyone. Perhaps that Brumlow fellow outside will receive a couple of quick punches in order to find out where my sceptre is being kept-"

"It's not that," Peter said shyly. "It's just that... It's just that I turn eighteen in two days."

"And we were kinda hoping you'd stick around to be there for the party," I added.

Loki's lips twitched, suppressing a smile. He rubbed his chin as if in thought but I could tell he had already made up his mind. "I suppose I could stay in this cell for a few more days," He murmured. "But I don't know what use I'll be from here."

I grinned. "Don't worry. I have that part covered."