Chapter 6 - 6 o'clock

I wake up to the sun shining in my eyes. Zane's room has a huge window looking down on the city.

I feel the warm body of the man beneath me. His breathing is steady so he is still asleep. I can't help but look at his beautiful features. He really is breathtaking.

I can't believe I was so dramatic last night. I have no idea what came over me. I really embarrassed myself.

"Morning Love." He says. His voice low and raspy. I look up and smile at him.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah." I answer. I am fine.

He wraps his arms around and gives me a kiss on my forehead. I love it when he does that.

Wait. I feel like everything is moving to fast. Way to fast. I jump up, out of his arms and stand beside the bed.

"What's wrong Ronnie?" He asks confused.

"I can't. This isn't right. We've only met yesterday and I'm already in your bed. It's wrong. This isn't me." I say.

He stands up and walks around the bed to me.

"Veronica, we're getting married. I understand this is all new to you but it's okay."

He walks closer to me and gives me a tight hug. "We'll be fine Ronnie."

I lay my head on his shoulder and hug him back.

"I have to go to work today so you can stay here. You have the whole house to yourself."

I look at him and wonder...maybe I can go with him. Just to see what he does. I've never really gone anywhere besides the orphanage and the school.

"Can I come with you?" I ask.

He looks at me and smiles.

"Love, it's dangerous. You can come with me next time."

My face drops a little, but I quickly recover and nod my head. He gives me a quick hug and I walk out the door to my room.

I don't know what I'm going to do today. I can't go to school so I'm just going to sit here all day.

I walk to my closet and take out black leggings, a light purple hoodie and white converse.

I walk to the bathroom, close the door and start to shower.

I wash my hair and shave my legs. I'm still getting used to the hot water.

I finish up, dry myself off and put my hair into a messy bun. I'm to lazy to dry it right now. It can air dry. I'm just staying here anyway.

I put on the clothes I chose earlier and walk out the bathroom. There's a piece of paper on my bed and it almost looks the same as the note I got in my locker yesterday.

I pick it up and open the note.

Veronica Herondale

Time is ticking sweetheart...

x x x

Did Zane leave this? Why would he do that. I'm already here.

This is just confusing me, so I put the note in my hoodie pocket and walk downstairs.

Zane is already gone. I walk to the kitchen and open the pantry door. The first thing I see is...marshmallows. I only had it once before at a birthday party. It's one of my favorite things to eat.

I take it out the bag put some of it in a bowl and scroll through my phone while standing in the kitchen and eating the marshmallows.

I wonder how Gracie is doing. I miss her. I miss the rest of the little ones. I don't think I'll ever see them again.

I grab the bowl and walk to the couch. I really have nothing to do now. Is this what it feels like to be bored?

The phone on the counter starts ringing and I jump up. Wait, maybe I'm not supposed to answer it. Oh whatever

I walk to the phone and pick it up. "Hello?"

"Hey Love." The voice says and I immediately know it's Zane.

"Hey Zane. What's up?"

"When I get home, I'm taking you out to dinner, okay?"

"What time do you get home?" I ask. It sounds weird to say 'home' like that. I've never said it.

"Around 6 o'clock"

That is late! Why is he working so late?

"Okay" I answer. "See you tonight then."

"See you Love."

I put the phone down and lean against the counter. Now I have to wait till 6 o'clock. Great. Yay me!

*
*
*
*

Christii