Chapter 14

*don't forget to vote*

Rafe was overthinking a lot that night. After he said goodnight to Natalie he headed to Topper's room to hang out before passing out. Topper was setting up a game to do split-screen with his best friend.

'Rafe, you good dude?' Topper questioned as Rafe was clearly daydreaming. He snapped back into reality when he heard his name. He sat down on the bean bag as Topper passed him the controller.

'Hey Topper, is there any chance Natalie could like me?' Rafe was hesitant to ask the girl's brother. But Topper already knew about the little soft spot Rafe has for Natalie. If anything Topper was more excited for the two to become a thing.

'Well, she said she likes someone but she seems normal to me. Why you ask now?' Topper replied as he turned to look at Rafe.

'She called me Rafey again. Like when you said she liked me.' Rafe explained as Topper's eyes widen. He couldn't believe what Rafe admitted what occurred five minutes ago before he walked into the other bedroom.

'Seems odd for her not to say it without a reason. I think she does bro.' Topper claimed as his attention went back to his screen. He started the game as Rafe joined in. But his mind was thinking about Natalie.

It was around 9oclock in the morning when Natalie woke up. She was the only one up. She ate some breakfast and then went to chill in the lounge downstairs. But a knock at the door was heard.

'Deputy Shoupe? Is everything okay?' Natalie was slightly surprised to see the deputy at her front door. She started to worry if her brother or Rafe were in trouble.

'Nothing to worry about Natalie. Is your brother in?' He reassured her. She smiled as she nodded. She then let the Sheriff in as she went to grab Topper.

'Topper get up Deputy Shoupe is here for you.' She shouted down his ear. He was laid face up snoring loudly. Rafe was laid on the floor on his phone as she walked in seeing the two boys in their boxers only. Topper woke up startled as he grabbed a pair of shorts and a shirt and headed downstairs. Rafe followed behind them.

'We can't make out his face, But we can ID the boat and we think it's Heyward kid.' The sheriff explained to Topper and Rafe as they smiled. Natalie frowned slightly knowing Pope was going to be in a lot of trouble.

'Thank you, Deputy. Can't wait to tell Mom it wasn't me.' Topper chuckled in relief as Natalie scoffed. The three said goodbye to Shoupe as he left.

'You're not pressing charges are you?' Natalie asked as soon as Topper shut the door as he came off the phone to his mother who just talked to the Sheriff. Topper looked at Rafe then his sister. She felt the anger fill her up.

'He's sixteen! You can't he'll serve time he'll be tried as an adult!' Natalie fumed out. She wanted to tell Pope straight away. His future was at risk.

'It isn't up to him Natalie. It's up to your mom.' Rafe spoke up as he hugged her. Rafe calmed her down as Topper muttered an apology. Natalie grabbed her phone and reached for her car.

'Where are you going Nat?' Topper shouted down the drive as his sister got in the car. She rolled down the window by the time Rafe came outside.

'To see Pope.' She answered as she started the car. She speeded down to Heyward's seafood. She ran in to see Kiara, JJ, and Pope. She had an upset look on her face as she breathed hard for air. She ran all the way from her car to inside the place.

'Nat? What's wrong?' JJ stopped what he was doing. He walked over to the girl as she looked at Pope. Soon enough Pope's dad walked in saying someone was here to see him.

'I'm sorry.' She mouthed to Pope. Deputy Shoupe walked past Natalie towards Pope. Pope spoke good evening acting confused about why the sheriff was here.

'I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property of Topper Thornton. Keep your hands where I can see them.' The officer ordered Pope as everyone watched. His father was furious and questioned what has his son done. JJ, Kiara, and Natalie all looked at each other.

'You're arresting him?' Kiara blurted out with wrath. Everyone started speaking at the officer all at the same time. But Shoupe put the handcuffs on Pope and took him outside to the Cop car. Panic was rising on Pope's face as Natalie and JJ ran outside still screaming at the officer. Before Pope got in the car JJ howled out.

'It wasn't him! It was me. He tried to talk me out of it. But I was mad because he just got beaten up.' JJ shrieked out as he admitted half the truth. He gained the sheriff's attention as he listened closely.

'JJ what the hell are you doing?' Natalie yelped out getting in front of him. She didn't want Pope serving time. Nor did she want JJ to.

'I'm admitting the truth, Nat.' JJ smiled slightly as he moved the girl out of the way gently. He started saying more as the officer asked Pope if it was true. Pope was hesitant till he said the one word Shoupe needed to hear. 'Yes.'

'I'll get you out JJ I promise.' Natalie explained as JJ started getting handcuffs on his wrists. Pope was out of the way walking out as a free man. Pope was furious that his best friend took the blame for him. But JJ said he had too much to lose and JJ had nothing.

Natalie scurried to her car as soon as the cop car drove off. She kept muttering shit to herself. She drove home to let her brother know what just happened thanks to her mother for pressing charges.

'Yo Nat, what's happened?' Rafe asked changing his tone as he noticed the fury in the girl's body. Topper walked over with Kelce as they've clearly been tanning outside.

'Because of my bitch of a mother pressing charges on Pope. JJ being the smart ass he is said it was all him.' She spoke as she moved around the kitchen looking for her mother's card.

'So, I'm now going to meet JJ at the department and bail him out as soon as his court day comes.' Natalie huffed out as she looked at the three boys. She waved goodbye as she left the house.

'You think she'd bail one of us out?' Kelce asked as the door slammed.

'Yeah, she would.' Rafe answered as he grabbed a drink. He then took his phone and messaged Natalie to keep him updated. He didn't care about the boy. He was worried about Natalie working herself up.