41. Off for Peace

Start from the beginning

"Let me relay my gratitude for welcoming us, Your Majesty," Yunho said smoothly. His face remained carefully neutral even when the pixie king looked up at him with contempt.

"This is no favour to you, demon prince. I appeared only because my son reached out to me." Indignation flashed in the king's eyes when he stared at Hongjoong. Hongjoong met the glare with a smirk.

"Don't you push the blame on me, old man. We came to discuss politics and you know that."

The king dropped him from his focus as if deeming him unworthy. His eyes found back to Yunho.

"I already considered your proposal while you were on your way here. Do not expect me to apologise for the murder that has been spread among your people. I feel neither remorse nor responsibility."

Yunho matched the chilliness in his voice effortlessly, playing with the king's own cards.

"Neither do we. All we can offer is to acknowledge the damage we did to each other's people and to figure out a path into the future less blessed by blood."

The king nodded, respecting that. Nervously, Mingi glanced at the trees and back to Yunho. They couldn't foresee the outcome of this conversation, although Hongjoong had assured them they wouldn't get attacked. Whether their attempts would succeed remained a mystery.

"In my letter, I asked for you to find the demon who took my son's wings and bring him to me. Did you fulfil that request?"

Surprised, Yunho hesitated. He hadn't known of that.

"He didn't. I decided it was useless. If you demand a head for this exchange, they might as well demand mine. I am not out to find the one who mutilated me, and even less I need my family to snoop around in that matter when we are trying to resolve the conflict," Hongjoong said firmly. The whispers in the rushing treetops swelled. When they got louder than a swarm of humming bees, the king lifted his hand authoritatively. Immediately, it turned silent.

Their voices tingled in Mingi's ear, giving him a headache.

"As you wish. What is the aim of your visit today, Prince Yunho?"

Yunho gestured at Hongjoong.

"First, to bring back your son so you can treat his wounds and he can replenish his health that suffered in our lands. Second, to hear a reply from you about whether you will consider a new treaty with us in which we don't hunt each other and those who do may get punished by law."

The king hummed. His vicious eyes on Hongjoong promised no good news, but the other pixie took it without complaint.

"If I hand him your head as punishment for acting out of line, will we return to the treaty as it was before?"

Mingi's fingers tightened around the reins of his horse once the king had ended. Yunho, too, battled his frown.

"No. This political discussion shall bring only prosperity to both our kingdoms. You don't risk a war. If you decline, the hunting sport stays in place and we return to normal. If you agree, we will restrain our people to make sure none of you has a reason to come slaughter them again. Hongjoong and Wooyoung, however, are under my personal protection. If they come to harm, you might not risk a war with our kin, but with me."

Inwardly, Mingi cheered at Yunho's stable speech and his steely loyalty. Hongjoong and Wooyoung weren't exactly their friends, and Mingi was still terrified of the dark thanks to them. But they were the key figures to a racial dispute, and Yunho used them wisely as his tools.

"So he became that important after all. I'm impressed, Hongjoong."

The king's compliment brushed past the pixie emptily. Hongjoong wouldn't thank him after getting his neck on the line just a moment prior.