Chapter 59: Knight over flowers

Start from the beginning

"We...um..we have common friends." Carmel said, quite unsure of her words. "Our father's are colleagues. And..." her eyes went to Em's arms as they tightened around Gideon's, securing a hold. "..and, well...we've danced in the past."

"I do try to be the best host." Gideon said. "Lady Carmel has only been to the towers twice. I wished to leave a good impression specially that our humble home is not the best reception for balls."

"Oh, you jest." Em looked up to him. "I loved the towers!"

"Indeed?" His eyes also turned to her. "I am humbled that you like the place that you are soon to live in." They shared a familiar look that made them inseparable—at least on the eyes of the guests.

It was enough to make Carmel retreat. She lifted her skirts and walked away. Her friends curtsied and hurried after her. Once they were out of sight, Em stepped back. Tucking her arms around her.

"I wish to gather some air."

"Allow me to escort you." He offered. "We ought to talk about this. Us."

"I am glad you feel the same." She looked around. The count and countess were nowhere near. "Meet me in five minutes. At the balcony."

"I shall come."

Em lifted her skirts and fled. She made her way towards the entrance of the gardens, determined to follow a certain person. Without looking back, she sprang into a run.
***

"It is done." Vincent sighed. "We ought to retire for the night."

Lucille nodded and together, they made their way back. Lydia wanted to follow them but Damian arrived at her side. He whispered something to her that made her stay behind. She waved at her in laws and decided to play the dutiful wife.

Lucille and Vincent reached the archway when they heard footsteps running after them. They turned around and was surprised to see Emelia making her way towards them.

"You go on, I shall stall her." Vincent said to his wife.

"No. She will want an explanation. I cannot deny her that."

"But—"

"My lady..." Em breathed, "my lord..if I may? May we talk?"

"It is late, Miss Roderick. You may talk to my wife in the morning."

"Vincent! Let the girl speak."

"I only need a moment, my lord." She begged. "I deserve at least that."

Vincent mumbled under his breath but he could not stomach the way his wife looked. Her eyes told him she was hurt. He knew she cared for this girl ever since they found her. Finally, he succumbed. "Fine. But do not stay any longer than five minutes. I shall gather our wraps and you," he pointed to his wife, "ought to be in the carriage by then."

"Yes, I understand. Thank you, Vincent."

He turned to his heel and left. Em was on the verge of tears.

"Why?"

It was her only question. That one word undid Lucille. She sniffled, "I...I had no choice, Rose."

It took all control not to break down and sob. "And you never told me. You were giving me away and you never said a word.."

Lucille reached out and hugged her, "It was the only way. Please, Rose. I hope you understand. I did it for your own sake."

Tears finally broke free and fell. They were hot and bitter. "It is done. The royals have acknowledged my engagement and made it official. There is no way out for me."