Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Ever the pleasure to see you, Fury."

"Agent Vasilyev." He nodded curtly and I grimaced at the use of my surname.

Eventually people filtered into the meeting room, Wanda and Vision sitting directly on my right and starting up small talk. Wanda had been surprised to see me here but didn't want to ask out loud. I shrugged at her answering her unspoken question. That was when someone walked into the room that had everyone on edge. Thor had entered first, sitting opposite me with a hesitant look on his face. Loki followed, wearing the Asgardian armour he donned when I first met him. I couldn't read him at all, his poker mask firmly on his face. My body reacted to his presence, a warmth spreading down me as I realised just how good he looked in his armour. However, I frowned, and straightened my posture, removing my legs from the table at the same time. When Tony walked in he was pissed, asking what Loki was doing here.

"Sit down Stark, I've asked for Mr. Laufeyson to join us." I saw Thor frown slightly in my peripheral vision but kept eye contact on Loki. I had no idea why he would pretend to be anything other than an Odinson, given that Thor's name was already known. To differentiate the two possibly. But their surname held too much power in Asgard for him to change it. I tried to poke at his shields with my magic, asking to be let in. Loki just scowled slightly and held them firm, causing me to squint my eyes at him. The meeting began around us, but I just glared at Loki even if he was actively ignoring me. He was planning something, I was sure of it. There was no way he would care enough to sit in on this meeting otherwise, he cared little for our work and liked being used for his power to meddle in 'mortal affairs' even less.

Fury and Maria Hill explained the mission. It was suspected to be the last Hydra base, but really how many times had we been told that? These bases pop up like cockroaches. The plan was for us to attack it tomorrow afternoon and to extract the data from the base to hand over to SHIELD. It seemed pretty normal in terms of what we had to do, which made it all the more suspicious that Loki was here. Something else had to be going on, which Nat clearly picked up on and probed for the information we weren't being provided.

"We have had an anonymous source inform us that this base has information about the mind control programme run by Hydra." Both myself and Steve became hyper aware now, sitting straight and glaring at Fury. He only looked at Steve and nodded at some unspoken question.

"C-Could there be information that would help us reverse it?" I tried to speak calmly, I tried not to let my hope get out of control. It was hard not to.

"That we don't know. It is, however, possible that the information found could lead to such a breakthrough." That was... too much. Far too much information to give me, and far too much of a promise for Fury to provide me. Which meant he needed me on the mission, a mission I should never have been involved in. My mind was turning over the possibilities, trying to figure out the endgame here. Luckily, Thor's shock was able to delay the meeting longer for me to figure out what I was missing.

"Mortals are able to control the minds of others! What dark magic is this? We would have no idea what effects that would have on the soldiers." I almost laughed at Thor's remarks, wondering how little information he was actually able to understand over the past nine months.

"Actually, Odinson we have a pretty good idea. Isn't that right Vasilyev?" I grimaced at him, but nodded nevertheless. I noticed Thor's confused face and Loki leant over to whisper in his ear. At which point he looked pissed and ready to fight anything. I guess I should have been angry at the state I found myself in. I mean I couldn't go on missions because my trigger words had leaked.

"Wait." I gasped as I realised what I'd missed. I was banned from missions because I could be controlled by an unknown number of Hydra agents. So why would I be allowed on this mission where the possibility of them knowing how to activate me was so high? "This makes no sense! Why would you ever allow me in this room knowing this is the mission? It wouldn't make any sense to have me on this mission. Everyone there