The queen sent a frown Yunho's way when she saw him leading Mingi around the tightly cramped chairs to the backroom with his hands on his hips. Nonchalantly, Yunho overlooked it.

"Good luck," Mingi whispered as he stood in the door to the other room. Smiling, Yunho leaned in to leave a kiss on his forehead. An advisor to their right gasped exaggeratedly, and then a feather scraped over parchment.

"I will do my best." With a cheeky grin, Yunho left for his seat. Hongjoong looked curiously at him and nodded his head in greeting when Yunho elegantly sat down. Mingi hid away in the backroom with Onnah, Vur, the queen's servant, as well as the ones belonging to San and his sister. The latter two were in the middle of a hushed conversation that they interrupted only briefly to scrutinise Mingi. Then, they continued their whispers when Mingi sat down opposite Onnah at the chessboard. As usual, she played white, and he played black.

Mingi tried to focus on the game and not pour too much of his fingernail chewing into awaiting the king's announcement. The stretch of the usual greetings seemed extreme and, judging by the shifting of hooves outside, everybody was conscious of it. Halfway through the king holding an extra speech for the pixies, Mingi wondered if he dragged it out on purpose. Not that Mingi would know whom the king wanted to torture with it.

"Now, as for the news, all of you are waiting for so impatiently," the king continued gruffly after a quick break. The tension in the other room maxed out. Mingi was sidetracked immediately, his head up and attentive to the words said. Onnah also raised her eyes, her face void of emotion.

Mingi hoped. He hoped the pixies would get to return and that a formal apology would be issued rather than more bloodshed. He hoped he would get to see Yunho jubilate in his win over San.

"After about a week of surveilling our guests from the pixie kingdom and listening to the proposals our princes and advisors made, I decided for what I deem the best political decision."

Mingi gnawed on his claws until Onnah's tail whipped at his for him to stop. Anticipation clenched his guts in an iron fist.

"While my decision might not mean the success of this plan since it requires more forces coming together than we can currently bargain for, I hope that with the right people pledging their enthusiasm in this work, we will resolve this situation in a way that is so desired by everyone. That being said, I want our court to pursue the noble convictions of our crown prince and to make peace with the pixies if they acknowledge our attempts."

Yunho broke out in loud cheers the moment the king had ended. Those who had supported him hailed as well, and the queen clapped her delicate hands with a faint smile. Gunho patted both Yunho's and Hongjoong's shoulders as if they were the best of friends already. Some displeased grumbles also filled the boisterous room, but they got drowned out by the general joy.

"That is," the king's booming voice disrupted the atmosphere again to demand some manners, "if our valuable guests agree to help us. We need their insight on the matter to resolve this issue. Our side will promise their protection despite their crimes."

Expectant, the room quietened once more as they all looked at Hongjoong. Mingi's heart squeezed tightly in his chest with his mixed emotions of stress and excitement.

"We... we would also want to help. Despite our crimes," Hongjoong whispered. Gone was all of his bitterness to kill every demon he saw. The bigger picture of neither race hurting each other charmed even him.

For the first time, San didn't protest. Mingi didn't doubt that it was connected to his blooming relationship with Wooyoung.

With a little squeal, Mingi clapped his hands as well. Onnah's lips had curled into a smile, and none of the other servants looked opposed.