Ch. 45 - Better Together

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"You know that you're
the love of my life."

- Quintin
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 45 - Better Together

▪️V I N C E N T▪️

Who would have thought that three years later I would be getting ready for a wedding?

Much less to be standing waiting by the altar.

It was a surreal feeling as I looked across the aisle, taking in the crowds of people that sat in the pews.

The wedding ceremony was simple as the secluded area in the garden at the back of the hotel had been rented out for the occasion. The garden was decorated with appropriate lighting, and an acrylic altar was placed in front of a lovely water feature.

I admired the way the translucent ghost chairs had been placed in a half circle around the altar, leaving space for an aisle that led from a private area of the hotel into the garden.

There were lanterns placed everywhere and they each had candles inside. The stained glass of the lanterns was designed in such a way that it made the light of the candles seem like a blazing flame.

Of course, there were touches of purple everywhere but nothing was overdone.

The guest list read like the who's who of the criminal underworld, with various politicians and high-ranking members of the police force among those who attended. I was pretty confident that this wedding was probably one of the most well-protected events of the century.

The number of guns on the premises could probably support a small army.

One would have to be stupid to try and sneak in uninvited, and if anyone felt daring, I was pretty sure that the display by the entrance of the private area leading into this section of the garden would more than likely deter them.

Jade had worded the sign herself. It stated: Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again...

Remembering the warning almost made me laugh out, but I managed to hold it in while clearing my throat. I mean, I really should not have been surprised by the sign.

It was Jade and Dominic's wedding after all.

As I glanced at my best friend, I reminisced on our conversation earlier that morning.

Dominic had been standing near the railings of the balcony of one of Aelbank City's most prestigious hotels, admiring the sun setting over the city from the penthouse suite.

"Not thinking of jumping, are you?" I asked as I walked up behind him.

Turning to look at me, Dominic flashed me a grin, "Not today at least."

"Good, because I would have jumped right after you rather than have to explain to Jade where her soon to be husband was," I replied as we walked back into the large living room.

"Heh!" Dominic chuckled at the thought as we exited the suite and headed towards the elevator.

I let out a sigh as the doors of the lift closed behind us.

Turning to look at me, Dominic taunted, "Would you have really jumped after me? What about your lover boy Quintin?"

"I figured that he would forgive me... I mean, you bailing on Jade? I honestly would not want to deal with that firestorm," I confessed.