Sweet Memories & Bitter Secrets

Wails of a crying child was heard from afar, echoing through the woods as the rain poured down cats and dogs

Wails of a crying child was heard from afar, echoing through the woods as the rain poured down cats and dogs. I knew this area inside and out, yet I could not figure out the precise location.

I ran circles in the dense woods. Dripping wet from the heavy pour by the clouds. It was not much later when I found a boy shuddering, weeping in the hollow of a big old oak tree.

I remembered him from that morning's homeroom class. Kyle Hoover, was his name. "Hey, you okay there?" I offered him a gentle smile, knowing he transferred only that day to our school.

He simply looked at me, sobbing still. Noticing his scraped knee, I sat next him in the cooped hollow. Must have been the rain that brought him here. I whipped out a handkerchief from my back pocket. A bunny embroidered on one rim end.

"Can I?"

I asked, softly. He sniffled, his head bobbing a little as he did. His eyes were glistening in tears. "Why are you helping me?" I could have laughed but decided against it.

"We're classmates. And classmates should have each others back. Right?"

Again, he kept staring and suddenly, "But they hate me. . ." he mumbled. Tightening a final knot on the nape of his knee, I slumped back. My eyes lingering on the bruised knee a bit longer. There goes my favourite hanky... Looking back at him, I couldn't help the question slipping.

"Who does?"

"All the other students." He verified. My confusion knew no head. There was no reason to, so I questioned him again.

"Why so?"

He explained how they bullied him on his very first day because of his brogue accent and the poor boy ended up here with a knee fall. "I think it sounds cute. You're unique." I shrugged. And for the first time then, he had smiled.

Days passed, and years followed suit. We became best of friends, inseparable. Only because of that one compliment.

He was the one to pursue me on sharing everything with him. Good or bad. Being the good friend, which I don't even know if I was one, I told him the biggest part of me, my burden of life. The story behind the doors of our household. Our financial crisis, the cause. Everything.

I just wish, I hadn't.

"I will help you, Gguk." Were the words he had uttered that evening. His soothing words helped me enough. But, I should have known. We were middle schoolers and there's only so much we can do for our friends. I loved it, though. The feeling of having someone to lean on from time to time.

Perhaps, I was leaning on too much, for what should have been limited. I got very familiar of having him by side. That's why, the reason why I blanked out when he said, "We can't be friends anymore. I'm sorry." Those cold, frozen eyes staring down at me from behind him gave away the falsity, the pressure on his tongue.