Calls & Projects

Jeongguk bit his lips anxiously

Jeongguk bit his lips anxiously. Monotonous rings of the telephone resonated in the shell of his ear. Big doe eyes wandered around the room, mind waiting for the receiver to answer the call.

His solicitous thoughts messed up his mind to the point that the rings became white noise compared to the chaos inside his head. All of a sudden everything stopped. Any sort of noise was cut off, it was just him and his thoughts. "Hello," he heard the most beautiful voice speak to him. He missed hearing it everyday, yet that awareness of absence could not bring him to dial the number each night that he tried. Instead, he chose to fight those urges and go to sleep with regret drowning him in every breath.

"H-Hey Ma." Oh, it made him feel so good. So good to finally say that word. It had been weeks since he lashed out on her when she was not the one at fault. Neither was his father. No one was to be blamed. He blamed it all on himself. He was the reason for everything that was happening around him.

He and he was the one solely to be blamed for his father's condition and her mother's vulnerability.

"Jeongguk! Honey, why did—" His mother stopped half way through the sentence. Meddling with the sparks of the lost argument will only ignite it further. "How are you doing? Everything...is fine?" She asked dismissively.

"I am good mom, everything's in place. How are you?" Jeongguk stalled with his words for his urgent concerns to be manifested. On hearing a probable hum of positivity in response, he put forward his major impulse behind this call that has been ruffling his feathers ever since their last fiery chit chat. "Did you get the money? I transferred it to your bank account just yesterday."

"Uh yeah, I, I did."

Jeongguk intently heard her answer. As expected, it was the dubiety in her voice that harboured a suspicion in him. "Mom, I'm trying to help you. Please just, take it. I know it's not enough but pay off some loans." His voice almost cracked while meaning to complete the sentence.

"Sweetheart. I did, I did. I paid the hospital bills. You really helped me. I'm glad to have a son like you, Jeongguk. Any parent would be blessed to have one. I'm proud of you!" His mother said. She, being the guardian angel in Jeongguk's life, always knew what to say when he needed it.

She for one, was aware Jeongguk blamed himself for whatever was happening. For that matter, she smiled, he had gotten that from his father. Always holding onto the blames and readily mend it by hook or by crook. However, his father mayhap lost the latter quality.

She knew Jeongguk would cry for being of no help. But that was far from the truth. He was the apple of her eyes, as any child would be to their mothers. He was what made her strong. He was what made her, her. A proud mother.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, hm? She wanted to help us. She wanted you to see what her prince is possibly seeing. Don't be so defiant towards life, Jeongguk."