Crazy Isnt What They Say It Is. [12]

"Tara's going to one too, Ashley." Dominic whispers into my ear as we ride, "But Mom took her back to the hospital while we take you.. Then we're taking her."

I stare at him silently. My eyes flit to my cellphone, and I type to Brandon, about how Im sorry, but Im leaving for a while. I turn off my phone before he replies. I dont want to tell him whats wrong with me. We arrive at Morning View and I choke on my gum. The building looks warm, safe. Its two stories high, with 5 different wards for the five levels, Mum tells me. The windows are wide and clear, and only a few are closed by white and yellow striped curtains. The car gets parked, and we all follow Mum inside, like soldiers. We enter and a nurse in stiff looking scrubs smiles at me. I smile back uneasingly and she grasps my skinny upper arm. I back up, but she shakes her head.

"No.. Im Dolly, Im taking you to your first room. Youre Ashley, right?" she says.

I nod and look at my mom, who gives me a smile of encouragement. Before Im dragged to hell, Dominic hugs me, and Daddy hugs us both. Mum just stands aside, awkwardly. Then, 'Dolly' pulls me through a door, not letting me stop when Im slightly dizzy, and down the stark white hallway.

---

I dont really 'see' where we go. I only see the people staring.

As your level ups, your room is closer to the exit, kinda like youre close to winning a race. We walk through Quarter 4, highest level. The seemingly, nearly, 'cured' people stare at me, the new kid. A stick thin girl stares at me with piercing eyes of blue. A girl with sores on her knuckles and bad teeth glances at me before going back to flirting with a gaunt boy who looks high. He doesnt even look at me. We walk by them and Dolly barks for them to get to their rooms. Other teens peek from behind their doors at me.

We walk through Quarter 3, theres only one person and she's walking away. When we walk past, I see how her eyes flit nervously abd she shakes, I wonder why shes here. Drugs would seem the first option, but Im sure abuse is possible. Dolly pulls  me through the cafe, where no one is right now, save for the cooks.

Ward 1 and Ward 2 are empty. So is 0. Thats where we stop. She takes my bag from me and explains much, like I gave a fuck,; 

"We have two counselors here, Dr. Jamenson and Dr. Fairchild. If both decide its appropriate, you'll be bumped up a level. Wrongful behavior will result in dropping a level. Youll meet with Dr. Fairchild around 6 tonight. Ill take your things and be sure you have nothing that you shouldnt, and bring you bank uniform. We'll leave all your clothing for family visits and outings on the higher levels." She opened the door to a dark room. It had a narrow twin bed, a nightstand, a desk, a lamp, and a chair. "Ill be bringing your dinner along later, 5-ish." she smiles and walks away with all of my things, locking the door behind her.

I stare at the door. Solitary? This was sick. Solitary confinement is considered the harshest of punsihments, because its so hard to deal with mentally. I turn and survey the still, silent room. The bed's covers are a brilliant shade of white, all of them.. Them bottom and top sheet, the pillow case. The comforter are a lilac shade and I instantly hate it. I make a mental note to ask for a second pillow.  

The nightstand is a dark mahogany, with one drawer, and a shelf low to the groud. A lamp sits upon it, turned off. It has a white shade and mahogany base. It has one of the pull strings. I tug it on and a harsh white light appears. I turn it back off. I prefer the dark, dingy yellowy light the overhead fixture casts around. Opening the lone drawer, I see there's a felt tip marker (no sharps), a yellow legal pad, and a bible. I shake my head and shut the drawer.

I turn to the desk. Its also the mahogany, matching the bedframe, the nightstand, and the lamp base. The chair matches also. Its an old desk. it flips open and theres and assortment of things in it, like the last occupant was sneaky and forgot their things. I sift through it. Three spiral notebooks, a box of Crayola markers, a big box, and a package of 96 crayons, Crayola. Theres pencils and pens and Sharpies and sticky notes and theres such an array my heads going to implode. I shut it. I think that no one though to search it, which isnt very bright.

I look out the window. The lone, itsy window. It has a view of the forrest, which would be nice. Except I hate trees. They make me sneeze. I tug on the sill, hoping itll open, but it doesnt. No surprise. It  must be nailed and painted shut.

I pounce onto the little bed, landing with a slight thump. I screw my eyes close and somehow Im asleep.

---

It must be around 5 because Dolly shakes me awake. A tray sits on the desk and its filled with food. I make a face and she sees it.

"Youve got to keep your strength up dear." she purrs before pulling out pills. Anti-depressant, vitamin, something else, painkiller. I swallow them dutifully. She smiles. On the edge of the  bed sits a pair of white sweatpants and a black tanktop. I assume its uniform. She speaks;

"Thats uniform. Youll need to wear it always, except during visits, during church on higher levels, and on outings. We have your flat-iron-"

My mouth opens in protest.

"Youll be able to keep your iPod, and everything else except your cell phone. Youll get it back on 3. Ill return in about an hour." 

She exits the room. I growl.

I pick at the array of horrific calories. I dont eat anything. I  dig through the desk and find a plastic bag. I dump the food into it and tuck the bag evenly inside my waistband, hiding it. Ill throw it out later.