Chapter 2

Sometimes we should run from things

I knocked on Aera's door the next morning having a weird feeling in my stomach. Her tear filled eyes when she held my hand in the award show and when she thanked me, kept flashing before my eyes all night. I couldn't stop thinking about her. Well, more than usual.

"Strawberry is that you?" I heard her muffled voice through the door and tried not to smile. Strawberry.
If my brothers from the army heard this nickname they would literally call me neutered.
I cleared my throat. "Yes."

The door swung open a minute later and there she stood clad in a black ripped jeans and black tank top with the overcoat and black shades. She always look so cool.
"I'm almost ready. Come in."
"Where are your bags?" I asked.
She gave me her mischievous smirk before lowering her shades and looking at me.
"In the bedroom," she purred.

I resisted the urge to smile or kiss her or both. Instead I just nodded and followed her inside. The entire suite was completely wrecked. There were glasses and towels and robes and even toilet paper spread around the living room. It looked like she threw a rager but I know she did that all on her own.

Her bedroom was even worse. How did she manage to displace that heavy mattress from the bed when she looks like that? I stared at her as she messed with her waist long black hair in the full length mirror. Before her eyes locked with mine I grabbed her suitcases.

"I'll wait for you outside."

As soon as we got out of the hotel I put the luggage in the rented car. I opened the door for Aera but she was nowhere to be seen. I looked around me and found her strutting ahead and looking around the road. She has lost her mind.

I ran after her. "What are you doing?" I grabbed her hand lightly.

"The weather's nice. And everyone is so used to seeing celebrities here, I can just walk down the road without being assaulted." She said pushing the shades up she looked at me. "I saw a bakery the other day when we got here. Let's go there."

"We have a flight to catch." I released her hand and stood closer to her to hide her from the people who were turning their heads.

"In like three hours. And I don't get to come here often." She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand. "Come on. I'll treat you to a strawberry pastry."

She began to move but I held her back.
"No."
She pouted cutely. "Please. You want something else. I can buy you the strawberry flavoured everything in that bakery."

Before I could say anything we both heard the click of the camera. I quickly took a step back knowing the papprazi would make a big deal out of this.

Aera looked in their direction.
"Hey, Ciera. Can you pose for us? You look beautiful." The men yelled at her from across the street.

"If you don't take me to the bakery I will spend an hour posing for those paps." She threatened me with a straight face.

I took a deep calming breath. "Fine. Just get in the car."
She smiled smugly at me while the camera clicked in the background.

Aera sat low-key in the corner seat of the bakery just stuffing her face with baked goods. It took us 30 minutes to lose the paps before we could pull up here. But it was worth it because the cream on her nose is the cutest thing I saw today.