Chapter 17.

Abby's POV

My heart dropped as I heard the news. The doctor's words replaying over and over again in my mind. 'BradleyhasmajorbraintraumaBradleyhasmajorbraintrauma...' The hospital felt as if it were spinning around me, time slowing, the only sounds I could hear was my own ragged breathing and my heart beating fast. 'This couldn't be true, it can't be true!' My mind was racing, hoping to find answers, hoping to hear the doctor saying it was a mistake. I stumbled over to where the doctor and my friends were sitting. My face filled with distress and worry, "Bradley has w-what?" My words were caught in my throat, tears threatening to make their way down my cheeks.

I was hoping I heard wrong but to no avail the doctor repeated himself as before, "Bradley has major brain trauma. So far he's unconscious but it could turn into a coma pretty fast. We have him on a standard breathing machine and I hate to say this, but depending on his condition, we might have to bring him to the ICU and hook him up to life support." The doctor answered my question with a somber look in his eyes.

My mom worked in a hospital I wasn't new to all of those terms. But it didn't seem real, I've only seen people on life support on TV. "I want to see him." I tried to keep my voice as calm as I could. But my vocal chords wavered with another urge to cry.

"I'm afraid Bradley's parents requested Bradley has no visitors other than family at the moment. But if you go home and get some rest. I'm sure they will be fine with other relations visiting him tomorrow." I couldn't wait until tomorrow, my best friend was unconscious with major brain trauma I couldn't just leave.

"Please," I tried, my voice was quiet, another set of sobs threatening to rack through my body. "Just one time, and I promise I'll go home and sleep. Please, just let me see him."

The doctor sighed placing his fingers on his closed eyelids. "I'll bring you to his room but if his parents say no we have to respect that, alright?" I nodded and followed the doctor to room C75. The door was open a crack but I could only see the edge of the bed and Brads parents sitting beside him. The doctor slipped inside and I waited outside patiently. I heard the sound of muffled conversation and the doctor quickly slipped out of the room again. He nodded at me to go in and I did.

What I saw was more heart breaking than anything I've seen before. Brad was lying on a hospital bed, covered in the itchy, white hospital sheets. He was hooked up to a machine that beeped with the steady beat of his heart. His eyes were closed and he was lying eerily still. I just stood in the doorway staring for the longest time. Never in my life have I seen a more terrible sight. My heart was pounding so loud I could hear it in my ears. The room span around me and I stumbled to Brads bedside taking a seat in another uncomfortable hospital chair. I took his hand, being careful of the IV's and letting the tears stream freely down my cheeks.

Brads Mom spoke up, "Abby, we'll give you some time, love. He would want time with you alone." The couple left the room with somber faces. I look down at Brad and my intertwined fingers, not finding the strength to look up at his emotionless face. My shoulders shuddered softly as I silently cried. Brad not showing any signs of life except for the machine that was keeping the beat of his heart in check. "Brad," I whispered quietly, "Bradley, I know you're in there still. Colton won't take you away from me. I won't let him. You are amazing and beautiful and I love you. I love you so much. I shared so much with you, you can't just go now!" I was now sobbing, saying my word loud enough that the doctors could most likely hear me. But I didn't care, I just wanted my Brad back, "Brad come back! Wake up! WAKE UP BRAD WAKE UP!" I was now screaming, I hardly noticed when the doctors and my Dad rushed in, holding me back pulling me out of the room, "BRAD! NO! STOP, PLEASE. I CAN'T LEAVE HE'S GOING TO WAKE UP, PLEASE!" I sobbed, helpless as they pulled me away from the room, away from my Brad.

•••

Two weeks later I was back at the hospital, I had been for the past two weeks. My body was exhausted from the lack of sleep. I looked terrible, but I couldn't care less. All that mattered was staying with Brad as long as I could until my Dad forced me to go home and shower and sleep. Brad hadn't shown any signs of waking from his coma. All I did was just sit there holding his hand. Praying harder than I ever had before hoping Brad would wake up and things would be okay again. It was then, when I finished praying for the 53rd time that day that I felt Brads fingers squeeze my own. I felt it, as clear as day, there was no doubt Brad had shown me some sign of movement, life.

I didn't know what to do, I couldn't believe what I had just felt but yet he had done it. He moved! I was filled with joy, "Doctor! Someone get a doctor in here! He moved, Bradley moved!" Brad's parents ran into the room followed by a doctor an three nurses.

"Can you explain to me what happened?" The doctor asked me. I was now standing facing the crowd.

"He squeezed my hand I felt it!" I smiled at them. But their faces showed no sign of relief. In fact they came across as grim.

The doctors and nurses all shared a look and then the main doctor turned back to me, "Abby, sometimes when visitors have been here for a long time," he paused as if trying to find the right words, "They start to imagine the patients responding to them in very vivid ways..." He paused again, I couldn't believe him. He thought I was imagining it? I'm not crazy! I felt it, he squeezed my hand.

"Doctor, I can assure you I'm not imagining things! It was for real! I wouldn't lie." I pleaded but no matter what I said the doctor repeatedly told me I needed to go home and get some sleep.

"Abigail, I understand your distress but-" a ruffle of sheets came from Brads bed, along with some incoherent mumbling. We all turned to face the hospital bed, where Brad was stirring awake. "Okay, we need to get everyone out of here." The doctor barked pushing Brad's parents and I out of the crowded room. Honestly, I didn't care. Brad was waking up! I knew he was still there still with us! My heart leapt with joy at the though of Brad being able to good me in his arms again.

After half an hour of waiting outside, Brad's parents were let in the room. And a couple of minutes after that his mom came out and brought me in. Brad was asking for James and Tris but sadly and against their will, James and Tristan were back in London. Finally he locked eyes with me. His face showing signs of puzzlement. "Hi Brad," I smiled and walked over to his bedside. "It's me, Abby." I smiled again.

But Brad just looked over at his parents with confusion plastered on his face, "Who's Abby?" And with those two words my heart dropped.