Chapter 12

Brad’s POV

                I looked up at the night sky; I don’t think I have ever seen so many stars in my life at one time. I looked over at Abby who was gazing up at the beautiful canopy. Her brown hair cascaded over the blanket beneath us; her green eyes sparkled in the moon light. She looked absolutely breath taking. We had now known eachother for 2 weeks. Everyday just seemed to get better, but we were still just friends. I felt bad for being disappointed about that. Just being in her company was enough. She looked over at me and smiled. I quickly smiled back at her, my face turning a shade of red and returned my sight to the stars. It was a beautiful night; the stars were out along with a full moon and a warm breeze. We were lying together in awestruck silence. Tonight has been a great night and I hoped to make hers even better. My mind raced with ideas, I sifted through each one. Becoming more anxious by the second I took a breath and sat up. I fixed my hair and looked down at Abby. She sits up beside me and looks over at me.

                “What’s wrong?” She asks.

                I look over at her and smile, “Nothing. I’m alright, just thinking.” She nods and leans over to the cooler, taking out two Cream Sodas. She hands one to me and I take it gladly, twisting the lid and taking a sip.

                “It’s hard to believe we only met two weeks ago.” She speaks up, “I’m so glad we did though. It has been one of the greatest summers ever so far.”

                I smile at her, but my mind is somewhere else, trying to build up the courage to do something that might change me as a person, that might change us as friends. I look around us, we somehow have managed to sneak into a golf course nears Abby’s house. There’s no security on the grounds at night and we also managed to get in here without setting off alarms. Abby had told me about always wanting to do this but no one had ever wanted to join her so she didn’t. She was pretty amazing, being able to plan this out in her head. I haven’t had this much fun in a long time. I just couldn’t wait for the other guys to meet her. James and Trisi would love her.

                I take another deep breath, enough procrastinating. It was time to go through with my plan. I reach over and grab my guitar settling it in my lap. She looks over at me, “what are you doing?” she lets out a soft chuckle.

                I take in another breath getting ready to do something that could cost me some embarrassment. “Abby, these past couple of weeks have been so great and I have never felt this way before. Meeting you was one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and well...”

Abby’s POV

                I take in a sharp breath as I sit listening to Brad, “Abby, these past couple of weeks have been so great and I have never felt this way before. Meeting you was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. And well, I’ve never felt so strongly about a girl before. So before I permanently get my foot stuck in my mouth I’m going to sing a song that will hopefully tell you how I’m feeling.” He smiled at me and looked down at his guitar. My stomach was now thrown into a full case of the butterflies and I already couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face.

‘I’d love to know just what you’re thinking,

Every little river running through your mind

You give and you take

You come and you go

You leave me here wondering if I’ll ever know

How much you care how much you don’t

Whatever you need whatever you want’

                I recognize the familiar tune of Hunter Hayes’ Somebody’s Heartbreak. It’s like Brad took the country twang out of it and made it something of his own. I listened intently as he moved on to the chorus.

‘If you’re gonna be somebody’s heartbreak,

If you’re gonna be somebody’s mistake,

If you’re gonna be somebody’s first time,

Somebody’s last time, baby be mine

If you’re looking to be somebody’s ‘just friends’

A little laughing, little loving, never calling again, that’s just fine,

If you’re gonna be somebody’s heartbreak

Be mine, yeah

Oh, be mine’

Brad’s POV

                I went on to the second verse and then to the bridge and then another chorus. I finished the song with my hands shaking and heart up in my throat. I was so nervous to see her reaction. After setting down my guitar I looked up to meet her eyes. Her smiling eyes, she was happy. I smiled at her, clearing my throat, “so uh, did you enjoy it?”

                “Brad, that was awesome! I loved it!” She smiled at me and I looked down, does she understand that that was really how I was feeling? I wanted her to be mine and it felt as if she was avoiding the question that was carried with every word of the song. I guess this was the time to be straight forward, no lovey-dovey sidetracks. I wanted to get straight to the point.

                “Abby, will you—” I was cut off by the sound of sirens and flashing lights. I looked around me panicked and confused.

                “Oh no,” Abby muttered, “grab the guitar and blanket I’ll grab the cooler.” I followed her instructions and the next moments were a blur. We grabbed all of our stuff and ran as fast and as hard as we could. By the time we got to the chain linked fence we were both breathing heavy. Abby started to climb the chain link fence. “Pass me the cooler!” She insisted and I did as she said she grabbed the box and through it on the ground on the other side of the fence. It landed with a crash and I thought I heard the sound of breaking glass. “Now for the blanket!” I held it out for her and she tossed it on top of the cooler. She began to climb down to the other side of the fence and she landed with a thud on the other side. I looked over my shoulder and saw security on golf carts racing towards us. I put my guitar strap over my shoulder and commenced climbing the fence, I swung my leg over to one side but before I could swing my other leg over I felt a hand close around my ankle. I kicked away with all of my might and I ended up planting my foot on the nose of the guard below me, a loud crack and a masculine shout came in return. I swung my leg over and jumped to the ground alongside Abby. “Take the blanket and run!”

We start to run again, we ran through the thick forested area, braches and roots threatening to trip me up at any moment. We finally ran out into Abby’s subdivision and we jogged all the way back to her house. We crash through her front door laughing. We kick off our shoes and set down our stuff we throw ourselves onto her couch and laugh. My stomach begins to cramp and it takes awhile before we catch our breath. She looks over at me and smiles. “Wow,” is all I could manage to say. So much for asking her, I think to myself.