Chapter 16.

Brad’s POV

“Well look who it is…” a sickly familiar voice called from behind Abby and I. We both turned around in our seats only to be faced with a stumbling, slurring jerk, who goes by the name of Colton. ‘Dammit’ is the only word that runs through my mind as I stand to face Colton.

“What do you want Colton?” I say crossing my arms over my chest and eyeing him down.

He points at me, “I waaaant… to k-kick your aaaass.” The teenage boy slurred as he stumbled forward almost running right into me.

I look over his shoulder and see his posse snickering drunkenly, “Come on man, not here. We both know it’s not right to fight in front of our ladies.” I say well side stepping the figure that was attempting to lean on me.

Colton sneered at me, “Look kid, I don’t care whose watching, I’m going to pound you into the ground like you’re a little bug.” I sighed and rolled my eyes, this kid seriously needed to leave me alone. I had no bad blood with him. So what was his problem? Colton raised his voice and tried to push me around, I stumbled back, the anger growing rapidly inside of me, “Listen to me when I’m talking to you, punk! Fight back like a man.”

He tried to advance again but I stepped out of his path and he stumbled to the ground where I was standing. The crowd around us was steadily growing bigger and some laughed at the drunken boy that was trying to stand up again after hitting the ground. “You little… Fight me! Do it! I dare you!” Colton was now standing at yelling at him.

I slowly walked towards him and replied, “I’m not going to fight you, not now, not ever. But here’s something I will do, I’m going to tell you, you never deserved Abby, she has always been too good for you. You broke her heart and you didn’t even care. You were a coward and you didn’t respect her the way she deserves. You’re nothing but I little sleazy player who can’t live without flirting with any girl that breaths. Face it Colton, you’ll never find a girl that will stay because you’re too busy checking all of the other girls out.” I was now standing only inches away from Colton and I lowered my voice, “Don’t ever try to talk to Abby again, or I might just have to go against what I said earlier, I will kick your ass.”

I could tell that Colton was getting angrier with every word I said. I started to turn to walk away, but then I heard Colton spit and I felt a moist droplet land on my neck. That was it, this kid was going down.

Abby’s POV

I could only watch from the circle as I saw Colton spit on Brad’s neck; I knew Colton had just pushed Brad over the edge. Before I could do or say anything Brad was advancing on Colton, throwing I punch at Colton’s jaw. Colton doubled over for a few seconds but straightened up and was rubbing his jaw. Brad started to walk away towards me, but I saw what Colton was about to do. Colton walked up behind him and landed a solid blow to the back of Brad’s head causing him to fall forward and hitting the ground hard. My hands shot up to my mouth and I ran forward to where Brad was lying, eerily still, but still breathing. “Brad? Oh my god. Bradley, are you alright?” I look him over but he is unconscious and lying still. I call out to anyone who will listen, “HELP! He’s unconscious! Someone call an ambulance!” The crowd stands unmoving but I see James and Tristan run to where I was kneeling.

“What happened?!” James asks panicked. I explain to him what happened with Colton and he replied, “Whose Colton? Why did they fight?” I tried to explain that we needed to get him to a hospital fast.

“I agree, come on James help me get him in the truck.” The two boys lifted him and slid him into the backseat. We all climbed in, James sitting in the back with Brad and Tristan and I sitting in the front seats. Tris was driving and we sped to the nearest hospital. Once there, the boys got out of the truck and carried Brad to the emergency room. I went up to the front desk and explained to them how he was hit in the back of the head and is unconscious. They quickly got two paramedics to check him over. Then they laid him out on a stretcher and wheeled him off.

I chased after them screaming, “Where are you taking him?! What are you doing?” But no one told me anything. My body was thrown into a full blown anxiety attack and I started to hyperventilate. I needed to know what they were doing. Was Brad okay? Why weren’t they telling me anything?

I felt someone grab me from behind and I started to panic even more, “Shh, Abby. It’s going to be okay, the doctors just need to check him over, and it’ll be alright.” I heard James whisper. I slowly started to calm down, just now noticing the tears that were making their way down my face.

I turned in James’ arms and silently cried on his shoulder. After what felt like ages, I whispered, “It’s my entire fault; I should’ve known Colton was going to be there. I should’ve stopped him. James, it’s my fault.”

“No, Abby. It’s no one’s fault. It’s most definitely not your fault either. Shh, love. I’ll be okay.” I take a step back and wipe my eyes nodding. We go and join Tristan, taking a seat on the uncomfortable waiting room chairs, waiting for any new about Brad. I called my Dad and told him where I was. He said he was going to get to the hospital as fast as he could. Time moved more slowly than ever and I felt my eyelids becoming heavier by the second. I eventually nodded off with my head resting on James’ shoulder.

I was awakened by the sound of my Dad’s voice, “Hey, Abby. Do you want to come home and get some sleep?” I sat up rubbing my eyes.

“Huh? Uh, no Dad I want to wait until I hear about how Brad’s doing. I can’t just leave him here.” I yawned looking around. My eyes felt puffy and soar from crying and my hair was coming out of my braid. Great, I probably looked hideous, and I really needed to pee. “Uh, I’m going to go find a bathroom.” I walked to the bathroom and did my thing, fixing my hair and splashing some water on my face. Once finished I headed out to the waiting room, it was about 2am.

I looked over to where James, Tristan and my dad were sitting. A doctor was standing over them. I paced over to where they all were and I heard the tail end of the doctor’s conversation, “I’m afraid Bradley has major brain trauma…”