Chapter 1.

Summer, it's supposed to be the most liberating season of the year for the typical teenager. It's hot, there's shirtless boys, you can get a tan and you don't need to go to school. Heaven right? Wrong.

When your best friend decides to move to Toronto and you're still mourning your traumatic break up that happened more than a year ago, summer can be hell. Especially when you're trapped in a small town where you have no friends because you're a social reject, and you can almost hear the deafening sound of nothing.

So, here I was. My first summer with absolutely nothing liberating about it. Yes, I'm a teenage girl, and no, I'm not ugly or crazy. I'm just.... Shy? There's not a lot of excuses for my loneliness other than I like to keep to myself. I'm 15, and I start high school this year. I'm hoping it will mean a fresh start for myself, but then again, I'm considered different. I like writing, singing, acting, guitar and volleyball. Sounds normal? Of course it does. But there's something that never allows me to fit in with people and I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

So here I am, another drab summers day. I grab my black American Eagle fringe shoulder bag and take one last look in the full length mirror before I leave my house. Same long, dark brown hair hanging in messy waves down my back. Green eyes staring back at me, framed by some mascara. My Ramones tank top tucked into a pair of faded high waisted shorts thrifted and cut by me. Last but not least my brown combat boots, worn out from days of wear and tear. I shrug at my lazy, grungy appearance and grab my retro pink basket bike from the garage and head out into the piercing heat.

Like always I get a few honks from passing trucks and some random strangers yelling that they like my bike. Typical. It's a bike, thats pink. Calm.

I ride past the 7-11 and look down the road he lives on. Memories come back, Valentines day, the movies and the late nights on the phone. I find myself longing to be in his arms again, stop it Abigail, you're better off without him. He didn't treat you right and he never will.

I continue riding until I get to the road I need to turn down to arrive at my favorite summer destination, Starbucks. I finally pedal up to the café franchise and park my bike. I lock it up and head inside to the counter.

The ecstatic blonde behind the counter smiles, "What can I get for you?"

I smile sweetly and order my regular venti vanilla bean frappichino. I pay the $4.98 and walk to the end of the counter and await my drink. A boy that has a crooked front tooth and black curls gives me a smile and hands me the cold beverage. I smile back and go sit at the nearest counter and pull out my note book.

I start to write, mindless things, things that really have no meaning accept to rid my brain of the useless phrases. I then start to arrange them poetically eventually forming a poem that is quite intriguing. I start to get into the writing just as I see a figure sit across from me, an unfamiliar one at that.

I close my book and look up slowly, only to be met with a pair of piercing brown eyes that were smiling pack at me. I, being utterly shocked at this attractive yet strangely familiar stranger, stuttered, "I-um hi."

I shot him a questioning glance as I quickly cleaned up the pencils and various writing utensils around me, "hi," the stranger replied while smiling at me, "what were you doing just then?" He questioned while gesturing to my notebook which I tightly gripped against my chest.

"I-um, I was just writing nonsense, uh... Why?" I reply confused. Who was this guy? And why did he want to know about my notebook?

"May I see?" He asked while politely sticking his hand out in accordance to my notebook. I slowly loosened my grip on the coil bound book and placed it in his hand. He opened it up and proceeded to look through my collection of poems and rhymes. "This is good! Have you taken any writing classes before?" He asks while looking up at me again.