Chapter 4.

Abby's POV

I see the doors slide open out of the corner of my eye an I glance up to see who it was. Bradley was still at the counter paying, and that's when I saw him. Carelessly striding toward the cup counter with a group of his buddies and a new addition, a pretty girl. I quickly duck my head as much as I could without looking like a retard, praying that he wouldn't notice me. But to my bad luck he looks straight at me and starts to make his way over here just as Bradley takes a seat across from me. I quickly look up at him and smile, but I can tell he knows something is wrong. He frowns a bit and offers me a spoon, but my attention is on, him. He finally reaches our table and smiles at me.

"Hey! Long time no see!" He grins at me. I lift my head a bit and nod.

"Yeah," is all I mutter. He looks a bit confused.

"What did you say?"

I straighten up a bit and repeat myself louder, "yeah!"

"Jeez, you didn't have to yell!" He scowled.

"And you really didn't have to come over here," I once again mutter under my breath.

"What?!" He practically spat.

"Who are you?" Brad speaks up for the first time, accent silencing the room.

"I'm Colton. Abby's... friend," Colton smirks and looks over at me. I now have my head bowed, focusing on the cup full of carbs in front of me. "Who are you?"

"Bradley, Bradley Simpson," replies Bradley while sticking out his hand to shake, Colton just shrugs it off and throws his arm around the chick beside him.

"Abby," he says turning back to me, "this is Katie, have you met her before?"

"N-No," I reply while staring down at his shoes.

"Oh, well she's my new girlfriend," he slowly enunciated his words as if I was a little kid.

I finally decided I had enough and snapped, "Good for you Colton. Now you have another girls heart to toy with. And she's not even classy. I'm not even sure who to feel bad for, her or," I eye her down again, "or you." I scowl.

Bradley just looks at me with a look of confusion but then the look of understanding registers on his face. "Nice meeting you... Chandler? But we should go." And he quickly grabs our yogurt and wraps his arm around me and we head out, once again, into the hot summer air.

Brad's POV

She spat those words like they were poison and before anything else could escalate I grabbed our yogurt and said, "Nice meeting you... Colton? But we should go." Abby and I stand up and I wrap my arm around her as we head out into the summer heat.

I open the door of my truck for her and she climbs in, her face blank of emotion. I shut the rusty truck door and walk around to the other side of the vehicle. I get in and start it up the familiar ring of the motor springing to life. We back out of the parking lot and I start to drive. I drive down a back country road and we just cruise on in silence. I eventually pull into a field and park the truck. I turn and face Abby who has her head buried in her hands.

"Oh god," is all she mutters.

I reach over and start to pat her on the back. "What happened back there Abby?" I ask keeping my voice low.

"That was my ex, and his new toy... I guess," she says into her hands again. "And it was just too much for me and I snapped. Why do I always snap?!"

"From what I was hearing you had a right to be rude. He was being a huge jerk, you deserve better than that." I reply, trying my best to comfort her. All she did was shake her head and continue to mutter to herself. Suddenly I had a good idea. I grabbed our now almost completely melted frozen yogurt and the two spoons and I got out of the truck. I opened the back hatch and climbed into the back opening the little box I had. I grabbed a blanket and smoothed it out over the box of the truck. I hopped out and walked around to the other side of the truck to where Abby was sitting and opened her door.  

 "Abby, we are going to have a good day because you said we were. So come over here," I give her my arm and she took it without saying a word. I led her around to the back of the truck, "sit here." I said and she did. I went back around to the back seat of my truck and grabbed my guitar. I then walked to where she was sitting and sat beside her.

"I'd like to play you a song. Don't laugh, just listen," she giggled and I smiled, "hey, I said no laughing."

"Yes sir!" She tried her hardest to scowl at me. But that just made me laugh, which then made her laugh.

"Okay, okay!" I say through gasps of air. "This is for you, it's called Little Things." I go to start strumming when I'm interrupted.

"Hey, does this mean its dedicated to me?" She smiled her brilliant smile and winked.

"Of course, every word."