Chapter 15.

Abby’s POV

I stood at the kitchen sink scrubbing each dirty dish in the mountainous pile left by James and Tristan. I still couldn’t wrap my brain around how they managed to mess things up so easily and quickly. I grabbed the last dish off the counter beside me and commenced washing the grimy surface as I heard the front door open. “Brad?” I call out hoping that it was him and not a random intruder.

“Yeah,” he replies and I smile to myself. His Birmingham accent still got me every time. He walked into the kitchen and joined me at the sink. “So what’s left to do?” He looks over at me smiling.

“Well, you could go grab a dish towel and begin drying some of these dishes.” I reply setting the now clean plate on the drying rack. He and I both grabbed a dish towel and stood at the sink drying dishes, we talked about many things. We talked about our future goals and our families, but one thing we didn’t bring up was, the question.

***

Later that evening we were curled up on the couch sipping two colas in silence. I had my head resting on his chest with his arm wrapped around my shoulder. I looked up at him and examined his features closer than I have before. He had the most gorgeous brown eyes, like a milk chocolate colour, his brown curls covered the top of his forehead, his hair wasn’t too long, which I liked. He looked down at me and smiled this adorable half smile, which left a little dimple on his cheek. I couldn’t help but smile back at him; he was the most handsome boy I had ever laid eyes on. I returned my gaze to the cola I held in my hand. I felt his lips lightly press to the top of my head and my heart soared. That was one of the most intimate actions he has ever shown towards me and I loved it. Shivers shot through my body as he whispered in my ear, “You are gorgeous.” I smiled looking down a tad.

Before anything more was escalated though I quickly changed the subject, “Earlier today I got a text from my friend Sabrina, we used to be close but then we never saw each other... But anyways, she invited me to a bonfire tonight. I originally wasn’t going to go because parties really aren’t my thing, but since you and the other two boys are here I’m wondering if we should all go together.”

Brad thought for a moment and then replied, “That would be a good idea! I’m sure the guys would like to get out for a bit and I’d like to meet a few other people from around here.”

“Alright, well I will ask my Dad when he gets home if I can go then and I’ll text you the answer.” I smiled at him, I really did hope my Dad said yes, I think it would be really fun to get out and do something that made me get out and make friends.

“Well, I best be on my way home. When I left, James and Tris were planted in front of my Xbox I just want to make sure they haven’t completely trashed the place.” He chuckled. I nodded in agreement and we said our goodbyes. I watched him climb into his truck and drive off.

As I went and sat back down on the couch I pulled out my phone and quickly replied to Sabrina saying I would be coming but I was also going to be bringing three more people. I heard the garage door open and my Dad’s car come and park in the driveway. He walked inside and I greeted him with a hug. Pulling back I asked, “Hey Dad one of my old friends invited me to a bonfire tonight and I’m wondering if I could go with Brad.” I gave him the best puppy dog eyes I could manage and he smiled.

“If it’s with Brad I’m fine with that. Just please, don’t drink and don’t let Brad drink either, I want you home in one piece.” He smiled at me and I gave him a big grin.

“Thanks Dad!” I gave him a kiss on the cheek and ran downstairs. The party started at 10 and it was now 7 o’clock. I walked into my closet and rummaged through my clothing finding a good bonfire worthy outfit.

Brad’s POV

I received a text from Abby at around 8 saying the party started at ten. I hit Tristan who was sitting beside me and he paused the game, “What’s up mate?” Both Tris and James looked over at me. We’re going to a bonfire tonight with Abby. It’s at 10 so I expect you to be ready at 9:45. I’m picking her up at 9:50. They both nodded and resumed the game. I stood up to have a quick shower.

I turned on the hot water and stepped in. Humming a bit of Heart of Life by John Mayer as I quickly freshened up. After I was done I stepped out and headed to my room with a towel wrapped around my waist. I slid on a white tee and plaid shirt along with some black jeans. I dried my hair as best as I could and slid on a beanie. I slid on my black Oxfords and sprayed on some cologne. I went to sit the boys and for the rest of the time I sat and watched them kill anything that walked on the TV screen.

Abby’s POV

It was 9:52 when I heard Brad’s Chevy pull up in front of my house and I got up calling out to my Dad, “See you at midnight! Love you Dad!” I heard him reply with an “I love you too” as I stepped out closing the door behind me. It being summer it was still light out and the sun was half way through setting, it casted a lovely orange-pink glow over the clouds.

“Heeeeey Abby!” James called from the back of Brad’s truck. “We missed you like mad!”

“Yeah right!” I shot back jokingly as I climbed into the passenger seat. Brad looked over and smiled at me.

“Now, where am I heading?” I gave him directions as we sped off in the direction of the party. Tonight I was wearing my denim shirt under a white knit jumper; I wore black leggings and my favorite pair of Oxfords along with my usual collection of leather bracelets. I had French braided my hair and sprayed on a bit of body mist. I felt ready to go out and make new friends, finally belonging somewhere in this town. I watched the scenery as we drove to our destination. It was a beautiful night for a bonfire.

We pulled up to the large country estate and all hopped out wandering towards that pulsing bass of the music in the backyard. As we walked around back I saw many familiar faces that I had forgotten about when I shut myself away from people after Maddie left. I was busy saying my hello’s with Brad in tow. When I noticed we had lost James and Tristan I turned to brad, “Where are Tris and James?”

Brad looked around for a moment when he pointed over to a spot near the beverage table where James and Tristan had both met two girls that were willingly letting themselves be swept off their feet by the two Brits. “They are obviously busy chatting up some girls. I should’ve known.” Brad chuckled quietly.

“You thirsty?” I smiled at the boy standing next to me. He nodded and we headed over to the drink table I grabbed myself a crème soda Jones and he grabbed himself a coke. We then walked over to a spot where we could sit and watch the fire. We began talking about many things. It was dark when he brought it up, “Abby, I know I kind of messed it up the first time I asked you, but I’m going to do it now without any interruptions.” My heart was pounding in my chest; my stomach was thrown into a full frontal case of the butterflies. This was it, I still was undecided but I guess I would go with wherever made the most sense. “Will you be my girlfriend?” He stared into my green eyes with his chocolaty brown eyes. I smiled and he smile back. I was searching to find the right words, words that wouldn’t hurt him or our friendship.

I managed to stutter you, “O-of course I will.” I smiled at him. There, I said it. I was now Bradley Will Simpson’s girlfriend, after two and a half weeks of being so close with him. He smiled at me again and I was suddenly hit with a feeling I had never felt before. I knew as soon as it happened, I started leaning in as did he. Our lips were just an inch from meeting and I could feel his warm breath against mine. I shuddered as we closed the remaining distance between us. My heart leapt out of my chest and tingles took over my entire body. I felt like I was flying off in my own world. It was the perfect way to give away a first kiss. I always knew to wait for the right one and I knew that this was right. Everything felt perfect in the one moment. The fire burning brightly, the stars shining, the moon giving off its subtle glow and Bradley’s lips softly pressed against mine. It was only a short moment, but it felt like forever, and then we pulled away. Smiling at each other, I still felt weightless and full of joy. He was mine, I was his.

“Would you look who it is...” Sneered a voice from behind Brad and I. We both turned around to face our accuser. Only to be met by a drunken Colton.

Abigail’s Outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=69065040