Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"I was hoping you would be so kind as to accompany me on a short ride into the countryside before we leave?" A wide grin spread across my face at the thought, and I looked up at him, noticing the pride he seemed to take in my response. I nodded excitedly and he called for a stable boy to bring him a saddle. I rolled my eyes when he took the saddle without thanks and made sure to make a point of thanking the boy. Sheepishly, Loki then also thanked him, and the boy scampered away wide eyed. I laughed at the action but then Loki's arm slinked around my waist cutting the noise off.

I stared up at him and swallowed at his closeness.

"I-I just wanted to help you up." His uncertainty, though unusual to see on him, as adorable and I nodded. Once up he hoisted himself up to sit behind me and brought his arms around me to grab the reign. Automatically, I sunk back into his body. I noticed him stiffen ever so slightly before relaxing into the contact. With a click of his tongue, Svaðilfari trotted out of the stables, and we moved slowly out. It was more comfortable for me this way, too see the sights at a slower pace and take our time as we moved. I was thankful now for the braid as it prevented my hair blowing back into Loki, though I believed it was purposely done for this reason. As we settled into a steady pace outside of the city limits I noticed one of Loki's hands resting on my thigh and blushed. I needed to get a hold of myself around him and I tried to ignore it. He however, had clearly noticed or my thoughts had accidentally projected on to him as I had not raised my shields. I heard his soft laugher, and he began to move his thumb in slow strokes across my thigh making it impossible to ignore. I settled on a different tactic.

"Thank you for putting my dresses in the subspace. I didn't think I would get to keep them." My voice wavered slightly at the beginning causing him to laugh deeply.

"I see you wore the necklace, I have to say it looks lovely with your Avengers garb."

The sultry tone of his voice wasn't lost on me and any other words I had to say died on my mouth. Since when was my body so reactive to him? I thought about last night but then further back. My growing anger over the past month had clouded my memory. I thought back to how he held me so commandingly in his grip with his dagger against my neck. I internally cursed as I realised that my body had always been that reactive to his touch. It was an unnerving thought. Even now pressed against him I wanted more. To feel his skin against mine, his lips on my neck.

"I'm surprised it took you think long to notice such a fact." His breath was hot on my ear as he whispered to me. It caused a shiver to spread over me like fire. A blush instantly rose in my cheeks, and I threw my shields up around my head hoping he hadn't heard too much.

"It's not nice to pry." I hissed at him, but he just laughed in that deep seductive tone once more.

"It is ever so hard not to when you are screaming such luscious thoughts at me, pet." I felt a warmth in my core and tried to make a note for later about the reaction I suddenly had to the nickname I had hated so much. We eventually slowed down next to a thickening treeline of pink and purple leaves, and I could hear the sound of running water close by. He helped me off of Svaðilfari, holding my body far closer than he needed to for a moment longer before tying the horse up to a post.

He summoned what looked like hay and some water before leading me into the treeline and towards the sound of gushing water. After a short while the trees thinned, and we came across the mouth of a river and a waterfall. I gasped at the utter beauty of the area and noticed how the trees around the waterfall resembled cherry blossoms but in a deep royal purple.

"I used to come here a lot when I was young to clear my head. My mother showed me after a particularly gruelling court day that had annoyed me to no end. Ever since this was always my spot to get away. I would spend hours here listening to the waterfall and reading. Once my mother had to actually come and bring me back to the palace as I had spent so much time here." He smiled at the memory as we walked hand in hand towards the edge of the river. He sat down near it, and I did the same leaning comfortably into him as I had last night. I noticed we were in a natural dip in the terrain, and he leant his back against the grassy dip behind him. In silence he pulled me closer, so I was leaning against his chest in an embrace. He brushed back small wisps of hair that were too small to be braided and I sighed contently at the feeling of his fingers in my hair. I don't know how much time passed in silence. Over time I settled down on his chest and listened to the lull of his heartbeat beneath. He played with my hair with one hand, and I drew small patterns on his left with my right. The sound of the waterfall was so tranquil to me, calming any of the worries I would naturally have from being this relaxed and alone around Loki.