xlviii. the one that you dream of

Aurora had expected to wake up next to Remus

Aurora had expected to wake up next to Remus. She expected to see him beside her still sleeping. She had expected to be able to see the rise and fall of his chest, feel his heartbeat beneath her hand. But he wasn't there. The only sign that he had been there was the warmth from were he had been. She was confused, a frown on her face. Where was he?

A minute later, the panic set in.

He must regret it. Aurora didn't want to think that, trying to trust Remus enough to know that he wouldn't and didn't regret it. She rushed out of the bed and to the door, thanking Merlin that she was wearing clothes. The noise that entered the room as the silencing charm broke when the door was opened told her where Remus was. The pots clanging and the muffled curses gave it away.

When she reached the kitchen she was greeted with the sight of Remus holding burnt toast in his hand, glaring at it like it created all of his problems. "Everything alright?" She grinned as she startled him into dropping the toast. He just sighed instead of answering, running a hand through his hair, and Aurora really couldn't help the laugh that escaped her.

"I was trying to make breakfast." Remus told her, stating the obvious.

"You don't have to."

"I want to." He sighed again.

Aurora walked over to him, nudging him aside with a smile on her face. "You're very lucky that you're pretty." She told him, enjoying seeing the blush that made its way on to his cheeks and the protests that left his mouth.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm making toast," She said. "And not burning it." That got her a soft laugh from Remus, causing her to move her attention to him so she could see the smile on his face. "Pay close attention." Aurora grinned as she dropped the slices of bread into the toaster.

"I know how to make toast."

"I'm sure you do." Aurora picked up the burnt toast and dropped it in the bin, staring pointedly at him. Remus grimaced at the sight of the toast, not bothering to protest at her sarcastic remark. Aurora pulled out the now toasted bread from the toaster, placing them on a cutting board. They each buttered their toast, both spreading jam on the top as well.

"I'm going to visit Benjy later." Aurora said once they were finished eating. She hadn't seen him for over a week since he had been on his honeymoon, and they didn't exchange letters frequently like they would have if he wasn't away.

"Oh." Aurora was sure he didn't want her to hear that, or the disappointment in his voice. She could see the furrow in between his eyebrows, and her hand went out reflexively to smooth it over.

"Do you want to come with me?" She asked with a faint smile on her face, hoping to ease his mind. "Caradoc will be there as well." Aurora added on so he wouldn't refuse for fear of intruding.

Remus shook his head. "I don't want to impose. I'm fine here."

"Remus," She glared up at him. "I want you there."

He didn't say anything to her for a moment, and she worried that he was going to say no again. But he surprised her. "Okay then." And that was more than enough to put a smile on both of their faces.

Remus and Aurora stood outside of Benjy and Caradoc's flat, Aurora carrying a bunch of flowers she made them pick up on the way over. Remus looked at her, feeling the same happiness he had felt that morning, waking up with her by his side. She was just dressed in jeans and a shirt she stole from his wardrobe, the first few buttons undone, the sleeves rolled to just under her elbows, and he thought she was the most beautiful person he'd ever seen.

"Remus?" She nudged him slightly. "You okay?"

He nodded and reached out his hand to tuck her hair behind her ear, keeping his hand resting on the side of her face. "I'm fine," He leant down and placed a kiss on her forehead, pulling back to see a skeptical look on her face, to which he grinned at.

"If you say so," She raised a brow at him, and before he could say anything more, the door in front of them was opened.

"Roro!" Benjy Fenwick's voice rang out.

"Don't call me that," Aurora grinned at her friend as he pulled her into a hug.

"Why you still bother, I do not know," Benjy pulled away and tapped her on the head, getting a glare from her as she instantly went to smooth down her hair. "Remus," Benjy turned to him now, holding out his hand—Remus was grateful for this, he wasn't sure what he would do if the man hugged him.

"Hello Benjy," Remus smiled, clasping the man's hand. "How was the honeymoon?"

"It was great!" He beamed. "But I'll tell you more once we're inside," Benjy ushered them into the flat, simultaneously offering to make them drinks. Remus followed Aurora through the doorway into the kitchen where Caradoc was, once more exchanging greetings.

"So," Aurora grinned as she sat down around the table, Remus sitting down next to her, looping his leg around hers and receiving a smile from her that he would be happy to see for the rest of his life. "Tell us about the honeymoon," And Benjy jumped into describing the whole trip, pulling out pictures they had printed, whilst Caradoc held his husband's hand looking at him adoringly, occasionally adding to the conversation.

It amazed Remus how easily the pair moved around one another, the pull between them being almost magnetic. He had seen it with James and Lily, Lois and Sirius, Peter and Emmeline and so many more of his friends. Were he and Aurora like that? He didn't know.

"Thanks for coming with me," Aurora said later that night as she fell into bed next to him, his arm immediately moving around her and pulling her closer.

"Thanks for inviting me,"

"Anytime," She laughed and placed a light kiss on his shoulder. They fell into a lull of silence as he picked up his book and she closed her eyes. Remus had assumed she fell asleep as her breathing evened out, but he was proved wrong as he felt a cold hand sneak under his shirt, making him jump and her laugh.

"What was that for?" But Aurora shrugged and offered him a smile as her fingers drummed against the plane of his skin.

"When's the next full moon?" Aurora asked to make conversation as they once again fell silent—he knew that she already knew as well, if the lunar calendar next to her bed indicated anything.

"Thursday," Which was in three days time.

"Is it painful?" She asked, concern lacing her features.

"It was when I was younger, but when Peter, James and Sirius became animagi for me... it became easier,"

"They're good friends," She said, pulling a laugh out of Remus.

"Yeah," He agreed. "They're the best,"

AN:
so it's been a while :(
sorry for not updating just haven't really been motivated to write which sucks and i'm sorry that this isn't a very long chapter to make up for it

fuck, marry, kill [merlin edition]: morgana, arthur, merlin

also wanted to say, the one year anniversary of me publishing my first chapter is coming up (22nd December) and i just want to say thank you for each of you that interact with this fic, i love every single one of you (and 600k reads?!!! what?)