xvii. found wonderland (you and i got lost in it)

They had only entered the zoo a few minutes ago, after waiting in a small line and then paying the entrance fee, but Rosie had somehow already managed to drag them halfway across the exhibits, just to see the dolphins

Her nose was pressed right up against the glass, fascinated by the sea animals, and pure happiness covering her face anytime one came near her.

Aurora stood a few paces back, next to Remus, and carrying Harry on her hip—smiling as he looked around the room, seemingly unsure as to where his attention should be, as everything seemed to amaze him.

"I remember taking James, Sirius and Peter to the zoo," Remus said, a nostalgic look covering his face.

Aurora laughed lightly, imagining the confusion on the purebloods faces, constantly asking Remus which animal was which. "Oh yeah?"

He hummed, "They spent a week at mine during the summer of fourth year, it only took them 10 minutes to get us kicked out." He laughed, obviously not bitter over it, more fond than anything else.

Aurora noticed that whenever Remus talked about his friends, he would get this look on his face. It was a mixture of fondness, admiration, and what she thought was gratefulness. But gratefulness for what?

"They mean a lot to you, don't they?" She asked, already knowing the answer, hoping for the reason but not explicitly wanting to ask for it.

"Yeah," He said quietly. "Yes. They do." He repeated, louder this time, more certain of his response.

Instead of replying, Aurora stared at him, waiting for him to elaborate. "If you want the reason why, you're going to have to reach friendship level 5." He told her, grinning.

"Level 5?" She asked, an eyebrow raising. "What level am I on now?"

Remus stared at her, tilting his head as if he was thinking, but she knew he already knew the answer. "Hmm," He drawled out. "Maybe level 2."

"Wow. Level 2. I feel so lucky." Aurora said, sarcasm dripping in her voice.

He grinned at her, obviously amused by her statement, but instead of continuing their conversation, he walked over to Rosie.

He smiled at the girl, and started having a debate about which animal they should see next. The lions (which—unsurprisingly—Remus wanted to see) or the snakes.

Judging by the triumphant look on her younger sister's face, she had won.

"Not fond of snakes?" She joked, a wide grin spread on her face.

"I think you'd be surprised." Remus countered, but before he could continue, he was taken away by Rosie, who was dragging him by his hand and barrelling through the crowd in a determination to see the snakes.

Aurora stared at his retreating figure, confused. Was he trying to imply something? Was he even talking about her? It could have been Regulus, Sirius' younger brother. She knew that the brothers had reconciled at some point during the war, as he was at Sirius' wedding, and she had seen Remus talking to him.