ii. 5. carved in stone

BY THE TIME Max and the other counselors made it to the edge of camp, the woods were pitch black

BY THE TIME Max and the other counselors made it to the edge of camp, the woods were pitch black. Alice excitedly jumped out of the car as Max grabbed his keys tossing a flashlight to an annoyed Cindy. They followed Alice and Arnie through the dark.

"Alice, come back, it's dark and disgusting out here," Cindy yelled out carefully walking through the woods.

"We're close Berman—hang in there!" Alice snapped. Max smirked as he followed the girl's voice until he caught sight of her pixie cut.

"Having fun yet," she teased to which he smiled. "This is the best idea". She flashed light onto Nurse Lane's journal.

"I still don't feel shit," Arnie commented as Alice dug into Cindy's bag.

"Okay then take more," she handed Arnie the bottle. Max looked at the small pills, he knew he shouldn't . . . but Alice and Arnie seemed unbothered and as sane as always. He ran his hand through his dark hair before sighing.

"You wouldn't have anymore of that L484, would you?" he casually asked. Alice's jaw dropped turning into a grin.

"All yours man," Arnie handed over the dark bottle. Max grabbed two capsules tossing his back as Alice jumped in excitement before taking off. Max's spirits seemed to rise tucking the bottle into his pocket as the two boys took off into the woods. Max's heart raced, despite Cindy's complaining, he was having fun.

Hearing Alice yell, they found the blonde pulling herself out of a large hole. Cindy came running through shining the flashlight at the girl. Her jaw dropped as a shaken up Tommy walked forward.

"Is someone digging a grave?" He asked. Max grabbed Cindy's light flashing the others.

"Someone is digging multiple," he answered. Tommy looked around nervously.

"Must have been Mary . . . where's the uh," the blond reached for the ground picking up the stray book. He flipped the pages as the teenagers edged closer. Shivering, he pointing at the book. "She was marking where she dug". Alice turned the page.

"But without her hand, her grip on the land holds firm and the curse will last until body and hand unite".

"Maybe Mary was looking for the hand" Tommy suggested still looking sick. Max furrowed his brows.

"You don't really believe this stuff do you? I've met the Fiers and their son in the least suspected person to be a witch" he laughed. Alice seemed unconvinced.