ii. prologue

"I MUST HAVE DIED ALONE, A LONG, LONG TIME AGO"

THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD
nirvana

C.BERMAN watched as the small television displayed the newest "Shadyside Tragedy". This time it was a murder spree at the East Union Medical fueled by two teenagers on amphetamines.

"Sheriff Nick Goode found the Grab & Bag soaked in blood and broken dreams".

The woman sat in silence as the man she once knew as her friend lit up the screen.

Simultaneously, her alarms went off as she left her spot on the couch and the the note which read : it's happening again.

Every night was the same following a strict schedule : eat a frozen dinner alongside whisky, check the locks and feed Major Tom all timed by her many clocks.

Checking the numerous locks throughout the house, Major impatiently barked as she groaned. Checking the window she was cut off by his persistent barks. Her alarms going off only added to her frustration.

"God damnit! You're an impatient bastard aren't you?" she questioned to her dog who happily began to eat.

As her nightly routine came to an end, she felt some relief, she had made it another day. . . 5,936 to be exact. She slumped on the couch slowly drifting off to sleep to the tv faintly playing in the background. As she began to doze off, she thought back to the girl she once loved. Dark hair, dark eyes, and a charismatic smile.

Her relief was short lived as she fearfully woke up to a loud and persistent knocking. The woman felt dread course through her veins as she never had visitors. The door rattled as a light flashed through the window.

Grabbing Major Tom and placing him in the closet, C. Berman tried to calm him down—in a sense trying to make herself feel better. Running to the kitchen and hiding behind a wall, she shook.

Her eyes widened as the kitchen window started to open and the intruder made their way into the kitchen. The woman quickly threw the intruder on the ground before raising a knife.

"Don't fucking move!"

The young intruder looked up in fear to the woman holding a knife.

"Stop please! We called you!" Deena Johnson rushed out. Josh Johnson and two other teenagers peered through the window as the red-head looked in fear.