Chapter 52: The Spy

Start from the beginning

Her saying that only ignited his curiousity more. But he simply nodded. She looked Kali over. "How am I supposed to get on top of her though?"

Kali looked at him. Pleased that she did so, he smirked. "Right. Get on your knees, baby girl. Let Alli up and don't shake her off."

Kali obliged, placing her head low on the ground. Alli turned to look at Valavan. He pretended to open her cover, indicating that he would do it if she didn't climb on fast. Taking a deep breath, she turned back and mounted her gingerly.

Kali laid still, waiting patiently for her to be comfortably seated. Once she was, Valavan folded his dhoti as it had undone itself to it's original state, revealing his blackened legs. Kali stared at them, her eyes sad. Tears welled up in them.

Bringing their heads together, he kissed once on her head to let her know that he was alright. Then, he jumped on top of the elephant, positioning himself behind Alli. He tossed her the cover and her helmet.

Alli caught them and gave him a startled look. "Whoa! Won't you hurt her?"

Valavan laughed. "Nah. She loves it."

As if in acceptance, Kali let out a loud trumpet.

..............................

Irungovel strode into his room angrily, breathing hard. Mara was close behind, anxious.

Irungovel swept his arm across his table, knocking everything down. Manuscripts, quills and glasses and fell down alike. Mara bit back a wince.

"How dare he?", he bellowed. "That... that kid wants to wage war on me? Kill me?"

Mara once again assumed the role of calming him down. "Don't worry, My Lord", he said soothingly. "We won't let it get to that. We'll kill him before it happens." He grinned. "After all, we don't fight pointless wars, do we?"

Irungovel shot him a sharp look. "Are you out of your mind, boy?" Mara looked at him, flabbergasted. "Did you not realize that this had transcended from being an issue of power to being an issue of pride? He challenged me amidst the Velirs, the Cheras and the Pandyas!" He started to pace. "If I don't retaliate now, I'll lose face!"

Mara attempted to calm him again. "It still wouldn't be a problem, Lord. You were the best Senatipati every surrounding region from here had known. There is no way he is going to win with a couple of Velirs."

Irungovel nodded. "I know that he wouldn't. But his audacity to challenge me in front of the whole Chola empire is what boils my blood." He glared at the ashes near the mirror. "He got his guts from you, didn't he, Ilamchetchenni? You love haunting me even after death, don't you?" His eyes turned cold. "I'll show him. I'll show him what it is to cross Irungovel. I precisely know what to do to crush him." He didn't elaborate. "But, before that, there is something that needs to be done at the earliest. It is of utmost importance."

Mara waited. "We need to set a spy in Puhar. I have to know everything they plan and I just have the perfect person in mind for that." He told Mara his name. "Send for him soon."

Mara nodded once quickly. Irungovel turned to his bed, exhausted. Just as he was about to crash, Alli's portrait caught his eye. A blinding wave of rage passed through him instantly.

You have no idea how much she loves me.

One hand moved forward, intent on ripping it to shreds. At the very last moment, he stopped, fisting his fingers. A slow smile crept up his face. Mara looked puzzled. "Why did you stop, Lord?"

Irungovel chuckled. "Why should I tear it?" Mara looked even more confused. He opened his palm, letting his fingers caress her face.

"Since when has something that is meant for someone else stopped me from attaining it?"