I wasn't sure what to make of his behaviour. Normally, when Alex's eyes had done that in the past, I had been on the receiving end of his cruelty but that was not what I was sensing right now. He was giving off a friendly aura. Like he wanted me to be comfortable around him.

Placing his arms on the surface of the desk and clasping his hands together in front of him, Alex finally opened his eyes. They were back to being his original blue and he appeared to be totally at ease as he studied me with interest before his features morphed into one of regret. "Mia... I want to start off by saying how sorry I am. For everything. I was arrogant and rude but most of all, I was ignorant and I let my temper get in the way. I shouldn't have hit you or treated you in the way that I have. That was wrong. I was wrong."

I listened in utter disbelief as Alex continued to speak in a solemn tone. Is this really happening? Somehow, I never pictured Alex to be the type to take accountability for his actions. But yet here he was. Doing just that.

"... Because the more time I've had to think, I have come to realise that you are but a victim in all this. Not the perpetrator. You had no idea what was going on and I don't think you still do. And that's why I want to tell you how sorry I am – how sorry we all are for putting you through this. You didn't deserve it."

Words would not be able to express the shock that I was experiencing in this instant. I felt frozen. My perception of Alex being this evil incarnate was chipping away at the corners as I felt the sincere effort from his side. But there was still a part of me that didn't trust him, leaving me in a state of suspicion at the sudden turn of events.

"I don't think an apology is going to cut it Alex. Definitely not for kidnap and torture."

"Yes, I understand. Which is why we are more than happy to compensate for the grief that we have caused."

"Compensate? What do you mean?"

And although he remained very still, a subtle change came over his form. There was an undercurrent of excitement behind the eyes that roamed my face as he leaned further into the desk. "Like I mentioned before, you were dragged into our family mess and it's only fair that we give you... a little something for all the trouble and inconvenience."

"Like what?"

I was stunned when Alex flashed me a smile. A full-on gorgeous smile that reached his eyes, making the blue almost glow in the dim lighting. He then proceeded to open a drawer and pull out some papers which he gently placed in front of me. "We decided that a sum of two million dollars along with a new place in your name will be an adequate compensation for everything that you have been through since you got here. Of course, the money will be paid to you however you wish - cash, transfer, whatever. And to make up for my poor conduct in particular, I will even throw in a brand new car of your choosing, clothes, jewellery... you name it and it's yours. All I ask in return.... is that you reject me.... and my brothers and go your own way. That's it."

My mind blanked for a second at the end of his little speech. I blinked several times, unable to form a coherent thought or sentence. But suddenly, the penny dropped. Everything began to click into place. The gifts, the compliments, the apology and everything in between. My heart twisted painfully as the hurt slashed through my chest.

"So... all this was just to get me to agree? A bribe?"

He huffed a short laugh, his eyes still holding that strange excitment. "Bribe? No Mia. Let's just say that this is a taste of my generosity. I can give you anything you want. You just agree and we all go back to our lives like nothing ever happened."

"Uh... So let me get this straight. You are paying me to... leave this place?"

Alex sighed heavily before scoffing. "Yes. And also for the rejection part that I mentioned and to also stay away from us... especially Thomas. You will never see him or try to get in contact with him once you leave this place. Oh... and the money is also to ensure that you keep silent about everything that happened. Although I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure you humans have something called a nuthouse where people get thrown into when they start babbling on about monsters that don't exist. Am I right?"