Through Ups and Downs

I saw it... With my two eyes. I saw how she landed badly, and in just a snap, she was already wincing in pain.

It all happened so fast that I didn't know how to react. Seeing your girlfriend down on the floor, holding on to her knee. It was a nightmare. A fucking nightmare that happened right in front of me.

After that incident, everything happened so fast. All I had in mind is my girlfriend. When the game ended, we lose, but we couldn't care less. Si Maddie ang iniisip namin ngayon. For years, she was rebuilding her confidence after she got her ACL injury.

"Please, no. Please. Please no. Please." I said whilst I was praying.

I felt a hand on my back, and when I looked who it was, it's ate Den. She smiled at me.

"Everything is going to be fine, Bei. Maddie is strong. Let's not think any negative here." Ate Den said and proceeded to sit on the back of the bus.

Wala akong katabi ngayon sa bus pabalik ng hotel. I just got a text that Maddie was sent to the nearest hospital for MRI.

Walang ibang laman ang isip ko, it's all Maddie. I'm just so damn worried about her. Please, not again.

++++

"Take your rest na girls. Let's all pray for Maddie, okay? Good night." Coach O said.

My teammates just proceeded to their own rooms, and naiwan kami ni Deanna dito sa lounge.

"Deans, you need to rest. You are tired." I said to Deanna.

Alam ko kasing pagod na kaming lahat. Physically and mentally, bugbog na kami.

"No, ate. I will wait for ate Mads to come back. I can't sleep 'pag hindi ko malalaman na safe sya." Deanna replied, and her voice is laced with concern.

Hours later and Maddie arrived. She's on a wheelchair.

Damn. My baby. She doesn't deserve this.

Agad ko syang nilapitan and by the look in her eyes, I know it. We both didn't say a word, I just wrapped her in my embrace and dun na sya nagbreakdown.

"Ssshhhh. I love you, baby. We'll get through this together, okay? Mahal na mahal kita. Kaya mo 'to, kaya natin 'to." I whispered. Ayan pa lang ang alam kong magagawa ko for now.

"I promise, nasa tabi mo lang ako palagi." I said, wiping her tears.

Pinasok na sya sa room namin and Deanna was here kanina to talk to her ate Maddie, they both cried pa nga.

This is the longest night of my life. Maddie's just crying and my heart isn't ready for this. Never ako naging ready sa mga iyak nya 'cause I never planned on making her cry.

The only thing I know right now is I will be with Maddie always until she gets back to her old form.

++++

Our stint in the PVL ended, us being in the 4th place. Well, we didn't get a podium finish but we're all happy na with what we got, we're still a young team kung iisipin and we exceeded everyone's expectations.

"Just tell me if you want anything ha?" I said to Maddie. Katabi ko sya ngayon and somehow, she seems okay na compared last night.

Nasa labas kami, we're just enjoying everything, and I never left Maddie's side.

"Inom ka, baby?" I asked. I am now kneeling in front of Maddie, sa buhangin lang din kasi ako nakaupo.

"If I get drunk tapos kung saan saan ko nasanggi 'tong tuhod ko? Ano gagawin ko? Cry again?" Maddie answered and rolled her eyes.

May point nga naman sya, and I just smiled and shook my head.

"Dude, she's really feeling better now. She's back at being mataray again." Jamie commented.

"I know, J. I know." I answered.

Jamie took her phone out and asked for selfie, which we gladly accepted kahit na hindi pa 'ko nakakatayo from my spot-- sa harap ni Maddie.

We just enjoyed the night and I never left Maddie's side for too long. Umaalis ako but I come back immediately. Mahirap maiwan si Maddie na nagtataray, she might snap with anyone.

++++

Morning came and we decided to go to the beach. We just wanted to unwind. Malapit na din kasi kami umuwi, last game na later eh.

We decided to chill in a cottage, and simula kanina I was busy na with my phone. I've been texting Maddie kasi if she wants me na sunduin na sya 'cause when I asked her out kanina, she declined.

Minutes passed and I didn't get a reply, I was about to call her when I saw that she's being carried by some of our staff na, with Kat carrying Maddie's wheelchair, and Kim with Maddie's crutches.

Deanna and I immediately stood up to give way. Whilst they were carrying Maddie, I took a picture of her. I just want to always have this reminder of what of a fighter my girlfriend is.

When she was settled na, I sat beside her.

"You should've replied to me, baby. Sana ako nagsundo sayo."

"Ms. de Leon, may I remind you na may hang over ka. If you were the one who fetched me, probably, nagpagulong gulong na tayo sa stairs kanina pa."

"Eh, it's not that bad naman, babe eh. Konting sakit ng ulo lang naman."

"Konti? Kaya pala halos gumapang ka papuntang bathroom kanina para lang makaligo ka dahil sa sakit ng ulo mo noh?"

"Ssshhh. You know what, baby, tama nga naman na sila 'yung nagsundo sayo." I smiled. I don't want na kontrahin pa sya. Tama naman sya eh.

"Eehhemm! Under! Eheeemmm!" Deanna said, faking her cough and clearing her throat.

The team laughed and I just looked at them.

"You know, guys, she can't kick me because of the condition of her knee, pero kaya pa rin ako nitong sapakin. So, I don't want to argue anymore, call it under but I just love my baby and I don't want to get hurt." I said, explaining my side. Which doesn't actually need any explanation.

"Nagpapalusot pa, eh tama naman talaga si Maddie." Regine uttered.

The team just laughed again.

As I looked at them, with my girlfriend beside me, I realized one important thing... This team, these people, they are not just my teammates, this is not just a team, we are family here, and I am happy that I am part of this all. Through ups and downs, sama sama kaming lahat, and I am so grateful for that.

"I'm so happy that we are with the right people, baby." Maddie blurted.

I held her hand and kiss it.

"I am too, baby. I'm so happy that we are here together. And I promise, I will be with you sa journey mo sa pagpapagaling. I will be there whenever or wherever you need me. Sasamahan kita palagi." I said, looking directly to her eyes.

"Thank you, baby. I love you so much. I am so thankful that you exist and I have someone like you in my life." Maddie replied, she's starting to tear up again.

"I am also grateful that I have you, baby. Mahal na mahal din kita. Ako ang magiging saklay mo if it's needed. Hinding hindi kita iiwan. Pangako." I said as I wipe her tears and kiss her forehead.

"Through ups and downs?" She cutely asked.

"Through ups and downs. Partners for life tayo eh, diba? Best duo." I said and gave her a peck on the lips.

I know that our teammates are just looking at us with the smile on their faces. And I know too that they're somehow happy for me and Maddie kahit na may masamang nangyari. I know, sasamahan din nila kami sa journey na 'to.

Through ups and downs, kaya namin 'to.

-------
Lutang pa rin ako 'cause I'm still sad with what happened to Maddie. Let's just pray for her fast recovery.