Chapter 8

Standing at the entrance to the small ballroom, in between the four brothers, two on either side of me, was not how I expected this night to start. I was supposed to ensure a smooth and successful function, instead I am standing here and greeting guests as a hostess.

My nerves are firing at full throttle, even the butterflies in my stomach are are flying at super speed. I am so anxious, I think this feeling of the unknown is worse than running in to a flaming building.

I have my hands tightly clenched, white at the knuckles, quietly standing, hoping that no one will notice me. But my hope of fading in the shadows evaporates as Cade and Alex each take one of my hands in to their own, they slowly peel me fingers out of the fist and hold my hands intertwined with theirs.

I look up at Cade and question " are you not supposed to make this announcement at the end of tonight?"
" That was the plan, but look ahead, that is our family and my mother has four women in tow, no way we are going to be spending the rest of the night seated next to them. We are also not spending our time entertaining them. It is best to nip it in the bud rather than to get their hopes up." Said Cade.

As the family approaches us, I notice the guys are all standing a little taller, their chests are puffed up as though they are ready to do battle.
Brianna and Bailey rush up to warn the brothers of what is about to happen.

" Watch it guys today mom is determined to get you all into committed relationships by the end of tonight. She is crazy. She even went and bought four engagement rings, I think you guys are going to be engaged by the end of tonight." Said Brianna.
" I don't know where she found these desperate housewife wannabees. You better have a plan, to get out of it, I don't want sister in laws like them." Said Bailey.

Cole spoke in a rushed tone to his sisters, " Please play along with what is going to happen,  agree with whatever we say and back us up, please. We saw this coming and we have a plan."

They all nod their heads and turn as they hear their parents come up behind them.

The guys step forward and hug and kiss their parents in greeting,  they seem to have an order set, Cole, Cade, Alex and Axel last. As they step back into their original places. Cole speaks, " Mum, dad, could we have a few minutes of your time, we need a family meeting, now."

" Do we have to do this now, I have to introduce you to your dates now?" Asks their mum.

" Yes, mum it is urgent." Said Cole.

He didn't give his mum a chance to say anything else, he put his arm around her shoulder and led her to a small dressing room off to the side. His mum had a confused look on her face but followed his lead. Their dad, sister's and Andrew followed.

I was still standing in my spot between, Cade and Axel. I look up at Cade and ask," is this really happening now?"
" Yes, love, we will inform them now, and put all the unpleasantness behind us. But we will have to elaborate more later. You ready to meet the in- laws?" He says with a smirk.
" As ready as one can be in this situation.  I hope that I come out in one piece." I say.

The three guys with me just laugh, and guide me towards the dressing room, " well it's been 5 minutes,  they should be ready for us now. " says Alex.

Alex lets go of my hand and taps at the door, he enters followed by Axel. I take a deep breath and walk in with Cade, he has his hand on my shoulder pulling me close to his side.

As we enter, I can feel the tension in the room.  I look at their faces as I  stand next to Cade, the other three move around me and stand as they were earlier.  Their father and sisters have smiles almost smirks on their faces, whilst their mother looks ready to kill me.