47. Rollercoaster

This chapter contains mature sexual content.

I'm asleep on the couch when I hear the front door slam. I immediately sit up and rub my eyes to look at the door, knowing it's JJ coming back from his fishing trip.

"You were with him today?" JJ asks, not wasting any time in finding out the truth behind the Instagram posts. He walks past me and sets the bucket of fish he caught on his fishing trip down in the kitchen before returning to the living room to sit on the couch next to me.

"Yes. We talked, tanned, and swam. That's it," I reply, hoping not to start an argument but knowing it's going to turn into one anyways, considering this is about Rafe.

"I don't like you being alone with him. Especially when you don't tell me you're going to see him," JJ says, looking at me sternly.

"He understands that you and I are together and that we're getting married. He promised to not make any moves or try and ruin things for you and I," I say, putting my hand over his.

He moves his hand back, and I feel a pain in my chest at the action. "Why can't you see that he's playing you? He's acting like a good guy and telling you all this bullshit to get you in his bed. That's all he wants," he says, running his hands through his hair angrily.

"Why can't you trust me? I know him better than you. I believe him when he says that he won't make a move. Why can't you trust that I'm not going to let anything happen? Why don't you believe me when I tell you he's just a friend? I'm literally engaged to you, JJ," I say, getting angrier as the conversation continues.

"Why do you have to be friends with him? He's done nothing but hurt you. What does he bring to your life other than conflict and heartbreak? I don't understand, Liv. I just don't get it," he admits, putting his head in his hands and looking down.

I move closer to him and put my hand on his knee, hoping he won't move away, and he doesn't. "He's getting better, Jay. He's in therapy and seeking help. I just— I feel obligated to be there for him. I'm the reason he became addicted to drugs and I want to help him get over his addictions. I know you don't understand, but this is important to me. I could never get through to my mom, but Rafe is actually trying. I want to be his friend and nothing more than that. The only person I'll ever have feelings for is you. I wouldn't have accepted your proposal if you weren't the only man I have feelings for and truly love. I want you to trust me, Jay. I'm not going to let anything happen between me and Rafe, but if it makes you so uncomfortable, I can set more boundaries and maybe you can be there when we hang out? Just tell me how to fix this between us," I rant, hoping to make him understand where I'm coming from.

After sitting in silence for a few minutes collecting his thoughts, JJ speaks up. "It's not your responsibility to take care of him. He's a grown ass man with a family, money, and resources. You are not responsible for his recovery or for his addictions. I can tell this means a lot to you so I'm not gonna make you stop hanging out with him, that wouldn't work. You can hang out with whoever you want, I don't want to be that psycho husband that tells you who you can or can't hang out with. But if anything ever happens, I need to know. I trust you, but I'll never trust him," he says, leaning back on the couch and pulling me closer to him. I lay my head on his chest while he runs his fingers through my hair. "Also, I'd like it if you told me you were going to see him before posting about it. I found out you were hanging out with him on fucking Instagram," he says, laughing.

I smile and nod, looking up at him. "I promise. Thank you for talking to me instead of running away or shutting down. Your communication skills are improving, babe," I say.

He smiles and pulls me to him, connecting our lips in a quick kiss. "I'm not gonna let the kook prince ruin our relationship. I'm marrying you whether you like it or not," he jokes.