41. Cat Fight

"Olivia?"

I close my eyes and mentally slap myself for thinking it's a good idea to come inside and go to the bathroom. I should've held it in till I got back to the Cut to avoid this.

I turn around and standing in front of me is a shirtless Rafe. He's wearing gym shorts and has headphones around his neck, he clearly just got done working out. I swallow nervously before answering him. "Hi, Rafe."

He smiles and walks closer to me, still keeping a distance but not too far. "When I commented 'maybe I'll see you later' on Insta I didn't think I actually would see you," he said, smirking at me.

I roll my eyes, of course he mentions that. I was in such a good mood that I decided to be nice and comment on his post, since he's been nice to me recently. After the whole baby thing happened it seems like he's changed. He's texted me a few times to check up on me, not expecting a reply. As much as I want to trust his intentions, it's hard. "Just came in to use the restroom. I should go now, Sarah and Kiara are waiting for me," I said, turning to leave.

Rafe rushes to the door and stands in front of it, gaining my attention. I give him a look that says 'move' but he doesn't budge. "How are you?" he asks, looking down in my eyes. He seems so... genuine.

I give him a soft smile, hoping this conversation can be quick and civil and not turn into an argument like 90% of our conversations do. "I've been doing good. Every day is a little easier. Today was a really good day," I admit, knowing he's talking about the baby and how devastated I was.

He nods and looks at the ground. "I can't believe that happened to you. I'm so sorry, Liv. I can't imagine what you've been feeling lately. I wish there was some way I could take the pain from you and put it on me," he says, still looking at the ground. "You don't deserve to feel pain," he adds on, almost in a whisper.

My heart hurts as I look at him. I can tell he means every word he's saying. As much as I want to hate Rafe, I can't. He really does care about me. "Thank you, Rafe. Truly, it means a lot. I can tell you're being honest right now. I like this side of you," I say, honestly. If Rafe was always like this, maybe more people would like him instead of hate him.

He picks his head up and looks in my eyes again. "I know you're engaged to that po— to JJ. But I want you to know if things don't work out between you two..." he starts to say but I cut him off.

"Rafe, don't—" I cut him off but he returns the favor.

"Olivia, I'm serious. You're worth fighting for. You need to know I'm still in the game. I want to be with you. You're with him now but I'll wait for you. I'll wait forever if it means I can be with you again. I won't fuck it up this time," he says, completely serious.

I sigh, trying to gather the right words to say in this situation. "That means a lot to me, but I don't want you to wait for me. I love JJ, I want to marry him. I'm not going to keep you on the sidelines in case things go south. I'm not that kind of girl," I say.

Rafe nods and clenches his jaw. "What if I told you I've been sober for a little over a month now? And that I've been going to therapy? I'm finally working through my shit, Liv. I want to be a better man for you. A man you deserve," he says, shocking me. Is he really clean? And going to therapy? Kind of hard to believe. I open my mouth to reply but he continues. "I don't expect you to forgive me and run back in my arms. I just want you to know that I'm becoming someone that you could be proud to call yours," he finishes.

I take a deep breath and turn my head to make sure the car is still there. Luckily, it is. I turn my attention back to Rafe. "That's a lot of information all at once. I'm happy for you, Rafe. You needed help, and that's not a bad thing. I just— I can't think about this right now. I'm sorry, I have to go," I say, not able to come up with a coherent sentence right now to show how I feel in this moment.