23. Always and Forever

Two weeks have past since the argument that led to JJ and I's breakup.

I've been spending more time with Rafe and establishing rules between us, specifically no kissing. When I'm not with Rafe, I'm with Sarah and John B. I've become the world's best third wheel; I go everywhere with them and cock-block like the good sister I am.

My posts on Instagram have been my only way to communicate with JJ since he's gone off the grid. He hasn't talked to anyone since the day he stormed out of my room. John B and Pope have tried to find him everyday, but they don't know his secret spots like I do. I figure he's somewhere that he can think and clear his head but also relax. There's only one place that I think he'll be and I'm almost there.

I've had 2 weeks to come up with the perfect words to say when I see JJ again, but all my preparation goes away the second the pier comes into view. John B and Sarah decided to come with me to the pier in case I end up heartbroken again. I'm sitting shotgun watching the pier get closer and closer until eventually we park and John B turns the ignition off.

"Go get our boy back," John B says, putting a hand on my knee and squeezing it lovingly. I look at him and smile nervously before turning around and nodding at Sarah, whose thumbs are up signaling good luck.

I open the door and hop out, turning around to shut the door but stopping to say "thank you guys. I love you." I owe my sanity and happiness to John B and Sarah for sticking by my side these past couple weeks. I'd wake up in the middle of the night from a nightmare about JJ and run to John B's room where he would hold me and tell me everything will be okay. Sarah and I would be out shopping and I'd see a tall blonde guy and think it's JJ and start hyperventilating, then I'd be brought back to normal because of Sarah. I feel grateful for my brother and my friends in this moment, so I'm holding onto that feeling as I walk to the beach.

When JJ and I come to the pier, we always sit away from people and close to the posts underneath the actual pier. The waves are stronger, the sand is softer, and the sun shines brighter at our spot. I take off my sandals as I hit the sand and I walk to our spot, mesmerized by the view like always. Despite being terrified of what could potentially happen in the next few minutes, I can't ignore the beauty that is the ocean in all her glory. Living on the Outer Banks is a blessing that I'm constantly reminded of when I come to the pier.

I'm wearing a light blue flowy dress and my hair is curled; if I'm going to win my boyfriend back I want to impress him. I pull out my phone from the hidden pocket in the dress and I take a picture of the pier with the waves, immediately posting it on Instagram. I close my phone nervously, not knowing if JJ will see it right away or if I'll be waiting on this beach till sundown. It's 5:20 p.m. and the colors of the sky are as blue as ever. I find myself mesmerized again before my phone vibrates from a notification. My heart stops as I read the notification:

@maybank9 commented: turn around.

I take a deep breath and tell myself "we'll be alright", the wise words from Harry Styles' Fine Line album. I turn around and there he is, as handsome as ever. JJ stands a few feet away, his hair visibly longer and blonder from time in the sun. I get butterflies at the sight of the man I love so much. It takes everything in me not to run up and kiss him. I don't realize I'm tearing up until I feel a few tears falling down my cheeks. I sniffle and come back to reality, stepping closer to him. "Hi," I say, not able to form a coherent sentence yet.

JJ smiles and hesitates for a second before closing the gap between us. He stands directly in front of me, wiping my tears away before setting his arms down by his side. "Took you long enough," he says, smiling half-heartedly and I let out a small laugh in response.