36. We'll Be Alright

I wake up to the sound of a machine beeping. I slowly open my eyes, finding it hard to do. My head feels heavy, almost as if I was sedated. As my eyes open, I look around and notice I'm in a hospital room. John B is sitting in the chair next to me holding my hand. I move slightly, which catches his attention.

"Liv, oh my god. You're alive -- I mean, you're awake!" he proclaims, smiling from ear to ear.

I grumble in pain as I sit up in the bed. John B helps me move the pillows up so I'm sitting up straight. Before I can ask any questions, a doctor is walking into the room.

"Good to see you're awake, Miss Routledge. I'm sure you have a lot of questions. I'm Doctor Barrett, nice to meet you. I wish it was under different circumstances," she says, looking at me gently. She's a beautiful middle-aged blonde woman, and I can practically hear the milf jokes.

I nod my head in agreement. "Nice to meet you," I say before asking, "why am I here?"

Doctor Barrett gives me a half-hearted smile before answering me. "What's the last thing you remember, hun?" she asks.

I shrug my shoulders as I think. "I remember waking up and JJ went on a run. Wait, where is JJ?" I stop for a second as memories flood back. Tears well my eyes as I remember what happened earlier in the day. "I said, where is JJ?" I say, practically yelling.

John B puts his hand on mine to calm me down, but I pull it away and give him a look that says 'tell me'. He sighs, "he's at the police station."

I look at him like he's an idiot, not understanding. "What are you talking about? Why would he be at the police station?" I ask.

Doctor Barrett tries to calm me down, saying "Olivia, you need to take a deep breath. This isn't good for you."

I shake my head as tears fill my eyes. "No, no! The last thing I remember is JJ pushing Nate off me. Why is he at the station? He was protecting me! I need to go, I have to set the record straight," I say as I begin to take out the IV and other tubes in my arms.

John B and Doctor Barrett rush to my side, urging me to stop. "Liv, listen to me. JJ isn't in trouble. He has to be there because it's procedure or some shit. They know he was protecting you. Nate was trespassing and he assaulted you. JJ didn't do anything wrong," John B says, trying to calm me down.

"I need to see him. Please, why can't I go?" I ask, not caring that I'm openly crying at this point. I'm so frustrated and upset at this whole situation.

Doctor Barrett pulls up a chair and sits next to me, putting a hand on my arm to comfort me. "Hun, you can't leave the hospital yet. We have to run more tests and make sure everything is fine. You suffered a major trauma --"

I cut her off before she can continue. "I'm fine. Just let me go, please. I promise I'm fine, I need to see JJ," I beg.

She looks at me like someone died, and I feel my heart drop. This whole time all I cared about was JJ, I didn't stop to think about myself... or our baby. My eyes get wide as I realize why she's acting this way. "No. NO. No no no no no!" I scream, holding my stomach as I break down.

I hear John B asking why I'm screaming as Doctor Barrett explains that I experienced a major loss. "What are you talking about? No one died, JJ is fine. She's fine. Nate's going to be fine, sadly. Why is she fucking screaming? What's going on?" he spats on, confused.

I take a deep breath and look at Doctor Barrett. "I lost the baby, didn't I?" I ask, practically whispering.

With the kindest, most empathetic look, she nods her head. "I'm so sorry, Olivia. There was nothing we could do. Your baby was gone before you got to the hospital," she says, confirming my worst fear.