Heartbeat

Warning: smut

Today had been long

Today had been long. Today had been long and messy and disturbing and just about everything you didn't want it to be. Storm-chasing wasn't exactly the right word for what you'd being doing, but it wasn't far off.

You know the tornado that takes Dorothy away and down the yellow brick road? The big, swirling storm that destroys everything in its path? Well, as it turns out, the one in that film was rather mild in comparison to reality. Especially when it turns out that in today's messed-up world that there's a serial killer following said tornados and using them, rather badly, as cover for his killings of young boys.

Young boys not far off of Jack Hotchner's age.

'Is he ok?' Emily had asked as she cornered you in the ladies' room. She made sure to check it was empty before bringing him up, aware that you wanted to keep your relationship a private matter at least for the time being, but she was still his friend and it gave you comfort that she cared enough to look after him. Once upon a time you might have felt slightly jealous about a boyfriend being so close with another woman, but for one thing you trusted Aaron; and for another it was obvious that no man could interest Emily. And perhaps even no woman- apart from JJ of course.

'He doesn't like the cases with kids.' You replied honestly, aware that Aaron always tried to maintain a strong front, but that sometimes he did need a shoulder. 'He doesn't like to show it but cases like these- especially with kids Jack's age- they really get to him.' Emily nodded and smiled with tight-lips, grateful that you were there to look after him anyway.

Ever since Haley died Hotch had stopped smiling. Ever since he'd got divorced really, but something in him as of late had begun to change for the better and she knew that that was because of you. As did Aaron.

Five hours later and you were sat with the rest of the team around a slightly dusty glass table in the police station at the wrong end of Kansas City. It had already been discussed that the best course of action was to try and get in front of the storm and catch the Un-Sub in action, but without another storm forecast until the next evening there wasn't much else you could do. Nobody was happy with this result of course, especially not Aaron, but Strauss wasn't quiet about openly stating her disapproval.

'Dave surely there has...'

'There isn't.' Dave interrupted her definitively, trying to put the argument to rest before it had ever really properly begun. 'If there was, we'd do it.' Strauss looked at him for a second before nodding sharply once. Taking this as his queue, Aaron stood from the table and started to collect the files together as the rest of the team began to pack up too. You were stopping in a rather run-down motel about a ten-minute drive away, but given the circumstances it was best to opt for proximity as opposed to comfort. A couple of hours later and you were sat on a slightly lumpy bed with your phone in hand, checking emails with your favourite fluffy pyjamas on that were just that little bit too big.