“Can’t they wait ‘til tomorrow?” she asked. He was still a little pale and subdued for her liking. “You’re not fully recovered yet.”

“It’s probably just a false alarm. Some patients tend to panic with the slightest change in their symptoms. I’ll be back as soon as I finish the job”, Fred reassured her though he prayed that was the case with the cryptic message.

“I can take you there before going to Cheska’s”, Tony interjected. Inwardly, he cringed for speaking up. To offer assistance to a person who had treated his friend unkindly, her benevolence must be rubbing off him. But if the doctor falls ill again, all her efforts would have gone to waste. For Cheska’s peace of mind, Tony resigned himself to be Fred’s temporary nanny. “Anyway, I’m still your chauffeur. Might as well do my job, sir”, he added as afterthought.

Tony smiled wryly at their reaction. Everybody seemed to have forgotten that significant detail about him. Or maybe not? He caught a flash of uncertainty from Fred who avoided his gaze.

Fred got off the car near the park and rented a bike to head to the old ecumenical chapel. Dread crept in at the sight of the entrance doors. They loomed at him, locked instead of welcoming the public to offer prayers to their gods. He went around the building and checked the back door. Its handle turned in his grip, creaking as it opened. After a moment’s hesitation, he crossed the threshold and left it slightly ajar. If this was a trap, it might be his only escape. Fred scanned his surroundings. He lingered in areas where trouble might arise like a knife flying at him from a dark corner. His progress was slow-going with him treading stealthily in the corridor and out of the side door to the altar.

The pews in front of him were empty. Colours played on its surface and on the tiled floor where the light, which shone through stained glass windows, struck. At the front entrance, a few candles were lit. The chapel had been closed at the same time the message was sent to him. From his vantage point at the top of the staircase, the columbarium underground was dimly lit. Fear slid down his spine. He couldn’t go in there without adequate light. Without it, the walls would close in and crush him.

The place was a death trap. The only thing which kept him rooted on the spot was that Mohy was in danger. Fred deposited his bag on the pew, knowing it would encumber him if he was attacked, but kept a scalpel on hand. Taking a deep breath, he pressed himself on the railing and slowly descended the stairs. Half-way down, a soft voice echoed in the cavernous room reaching his ears.

“Hold on a little longer, Zafeera. Fred will be here soon”, Mohy said.

All caution fled at the sound of her name. She was hurt. He raced down the steps barely noticing the man who waited at the landing. The glint of metal alerted him to its presence. Fred narrowly avoided a fist aimed at him. He staggered backward, his headache spiking a second time that morning. Automatically, his hand came up to his head.

“Fred, behind you!” Mohy shouted.

Too late, meaty arms enclosed Fred and lifted him several inches off the ground. Caught off guard, he lost his makeshift weapon. The man who had assaulted him before prepared to strike again. Fred struggled against the giant holding him. He kicked his legs in front of him to keep the attacker from coming nearer.

The huge man muttered in a foreign language and tightened his grip on the captive. The constriction made breathing difficult for Fred. He began to see spots in his vision and feared blacking out. The other man was aware of his dilemma and triumphantly waited for him to lose consciousness. Fred closed his eyes, let himself go limp, and evened his breathing.

The giant shook him first. When he didn’t respond, the man shifted his hold on him. Fred suddenly grabbed the nearest limb he could touch and let loose a shock of electricity. Instantly, he fell on the unforgiving floor. He opened his eyes and watched the giant’s body shudder and twitch on the ground.