Chapter 6 • Interview

I glanced at the clock for the second time today. Ten twenty-five. I still had about another two hours before my shift ends. At least it isn't Monday. Even if it's the same time and amount of hours, it feels like it drags on.

I wasn't needed immediately at the counter to make drinks so I disappeared to the back with a bucket of dirty dishes. I loaded them into the dishwasher until it was full and turned it on. I set what was left in the sink and carried the bucket out to the front.

When I looked up, one of my coworkers, Vivian, was staring dreamily at the stairs that lead up to the owners office. I gave her a weird look as I stepped closer to her and snapped my fingers in front of her face. She jerked back in shock and swung her head toward me, going red in embarrassment.

"What was that look for?" I questioned, glancing to the empty stairway.

"Oh..." Her lips curled up and she started gushing, "You won't believe me. There was this really hot guy who walked in. He came over to me and asked about a job here. Bridget was already down here and she took him up for a brief interview. Ryder, this man was sexy. He was tall and strong. Oh my God, just his face alone could kill somebody."

I smiled and laughed, "You're in too deep. You don't even know if said hot guy will get a job here. Maybe you ought to ask for his number. Just in case."

She nodded and looked over to the stairs again before her spine shot straight. A slow smile spread across her face and I shook my head before following her stare. Although I wasn't as happy as she was to see who her mystery man was. It was the guy I bumped into when I was rushing here this morning. He was following Bridget over to us.

She stopped at the counter and gestured to him, "This is Lynch. He's new around here and is in search of a job. Since we are getting into winter, I figured we could use the extra hands around here."

Vivian nodded eagerly and jutted her hand out to shake his. He took it and gave one firm shake before pulling away. She seemed to be on cloud nine from the brief interaction. When I looked back at Lynch, his eyes were on me. I paused, before stretching my hand over the counter. He reached over again and grasped my hand.

He shook my hand and I tried not to focus on how gentle it felt. He pulled away and stepped back. I dropped my hand and looked away as the little bell rang at the door, signaling someone walked in. I swallowed the lump in my throat when I met Liam's angry stare. I nodded my head to the deserted end of the counter, silently asking him to talk in private.

He followed and stood in front of the counter, making me wait to hear why he was here. He never visits me. Why would he now? His presence and overall demeanor is making me jittery.

"I'm bringing some friends over tonight. Don't come home," he demanded.

"I- But I don't have any clothes. And I have to wash my uniform for tomorrow. Can I at least get some stuff?" I inquired, pleading with him.

He groaned and scrubed a hand over the stubble he doesn't have, "Fine. Get whatever you need and then leave. It's guys night I don't want to see you."

I nodded, tamping my emotions, "Ok, I'll leave you to your guys night."

"Good," he said with a curt nod.

He didn't say anything else and left. After I saw him disappear past the window, I slumped in defeat. I held myself up with the counter while I collected myself. Bridget walked over, alone, and placed a hand over mine.

"Are you ok sweetie? You look like he just hit you," she offered.

I cleared my head and smiled at her, "No, I'm ok. He just wanted to tell me that he's going out tonight so I don't have to worry about dinner. I promise, Bridget, I'm fine."