Just a chance?

The armed guards open the gold plated, double doors for me and as soon as they open, I'm hit with fresh, cool air. Stepping inside cautiously, I am stunned by my surroundings. The ballroom is stupendous as I gawk at the chandeliers, covered in diamonds, the extravagant murals that have ever so carefully been painted as every single detail jumps at you. I'm immediately approached by a waiter holding a tray of champagne on one hand as I politely decline.

"Hadley, honey!" A light smile flourishes on my lips as I'm met with the one and only, Vincenzo Bovino. He's one of dad's closest clients and friends. They've been friends since elementary school and I was glad that the party Sage mentioned was his. He understands the whole 'hiding me from the mafia world' and besides, this was just a regular masquerade party and wasn't related to the mafia world at all. It was actually considered rude to discuss 'work' at parties like this as there were separate parties specifically designed just for this. If you really wanted to talk business then you had to agree to assign a meeting for it on another day except for the party. I hugged him tight as he gave my head a kiss before holding me by my shoulders and looking at me.

"Look at you, you have certainly grown up." He pet my head before one of my favourite people walked up to us, his wife, Armani Bovino. As soon as she came up to me, she practically tackled me in a hug as she squeezed me peppering kisses on my head.

"My sweet girl is back to me." She was also mum's best friend and as soon as mum died, Armani stepped up and she took care of me a lot. Whenever dad needed to go for work, she would be the first to be there. No matter what she needed to do, she dropped everything just for me.

"Sei così magro, cazzo. Non stai mangiando abbastanza?" She asked me but as soon as I was going to answer, she stepped in and answered for me. (You're so fucking skinny. Are you not eating enough?)

Yes. This crazy woman is Italian and so is Vincenzo but they are with the American mafia. They always have been. Armani's parents were going to get her married to some old guy just for some partnership in their mafia causing her to run away with Vincenzo. There was a hunt for Vincenzo and whoever found him, dead or alive, they would be rewarded a hefty sum of money, hence why he had to run away from the Italian Mafia. "Non mangi abbastanza. Una ragazza pazza. Cameriere. CAMERIERE!" She screamed for a waiter and many rushed over to her. (You aren't eating enough. Crazy girl. Waiter. WAITER!)

"She's fine, Armani. Quit worrying about her." Vincenzo gave me an apologetic smile as he put a hand on my shoulder, reassuring me that she isn't this crazy and that she's just worrying about me. The way Armani turned her head towards him, causing him to stiffen. He quickly pulled me next to him, using me as a shield.

"Please smile for her, kid. She's terrifying." He whispered to me, causing me to laugh. She softened at my smile as she pulled me towards her, hugging me tightly.

"Baby, you're so skinny. Are you eating enough?" She asked, placing a hand on my cheek and staring deep into my eyes, making sure that I wasn't lying.

"I am, Armani. Quit stressing." I assure her, as she releases a sigh of relief before taking a few sort of dishes from the waiter before shooing them away. She shoves them towards me, giving me an innocent smile.

"Please eat them." I still don't budge, just stand there and stare at her.

"For me?" She raises a shoulder and gives me a grin as I take the dishes from her.

"So..." She drags on, trying to get my attention. I look up at her, in the process of shoving a whole skewer of chicken in my mouth. These are so fucking good.

Did you come here with a date?" She asks me, trying to be nonchalant but failing, miserably. The mischievous look in her eyes says everything as Vincenzo starts choking on his champagne.