Prologue

"Many seem to think that falling in love is bliss. That handing yourself over to someone and giving them the power to destroy you is brave.

Well let me tell you something.

That is the most foolish thing that one can do. Allowing another to have that power over you is insane. You let other's have this sort of leverage over you and you're not going to get far in life. Be cold-hearted. Be a bitch. Doesn't matter what they say. If it protects your heart at all costs, so be it. But don't you dare let that foolish heart of yours free or else it will fall for the most reckless, handsome man ever and then, sweetheart, you are doomed."

That's what my grandmother told me. She always told me grandpa and her love story but she always called it a tragedy. She always reminded me that "if you want to get far in life, think with your brain, not with your heart."

I always seemed to think that it was crazy. I wanted to have a knight in shining armour. I wanted to be a princess but then again, those love stories were nothing but bullshit. They led me to believe that love could change everything. That love was the centre of our universe. That you could quite possibly have somebody who would be willing to risk their life for you. Finding somebody like that is finding a needle in a haystack. It's like a rainfall of diamonds. It's like getting ice cream at McDonalds and we all know that that is not possible.

But all jokes aside, I used to be one who would depend on love and affection, that is until I heard my grandmother's wails. That is until I saw her collapse in the kitchen. That is until I could almost feel her loss.

Grandpa had passed away and grandma had absolutely lost her mind and completely shattered her delicate heart. That's when the lecture came. That's when she decided to lecture me about "love" and how it shatters you. It genuinely terrified me so when grandma was taking her last breaths, she made me promise her something.

"Promise me that you will try your hardest not to fall in love. Promise me that you will protect your heart at all costs."

And then she passed away in my arms.

She decided to spend her last breaths on telling me how to save my heart. I felt obligated to comply. So 13 year old me made it her life goal to stay away from love. To not depend on affection.

"Whatchu writing there?"

I peak my head up to see my best friend and cousin, Sage peering her head to the side to see. I immediately Karate chop her on her neck. I didn't expect her to be this close.

"What the fuck Hadley?"

She groans as she falls to the ground, rubbing her neck.

"Sorry, you were way closer than I expected. Reflexes I guess."

"Why are you so good at fighting anyways?"

She asks, curiosity and frustration lacing her voice. I never tell her why I'm so good at fighting. Even I don't know. I was never told why I was learning how to fight. I understand a few defence moves and a couple punches but my uncle's training was hardcore. I was never informed and was always told to not ask questions.

I'm phenomenal at fighting. Something my uncle taught me. My dad and my uncle have been training me ever since I was a kid. I still remember being sick and tired of punching the same bag over and over again but now, I sometime I get the urge to punch a bag for no fucking reason at all. I used to get my ass whooped by my uncle every time but now, it's the opposite.

"I don't know, Sage."

She rolls her eyes at me as she goes back to sit on her bed. We're about to start our senior year at this new school. Sage and I decided to start living together and since we found our dream apartment, we immediately bought it and moved in. The only problem was that it was really far away so we had to move schools as well. Our families are quite wealthy so my dad decided to gift us the apartment. Finally, Sage decides to change the topic.

"Are you excited for tomorrow?"

She beams.

"Eh, it's fine."

I genuinely do not give a shit. Meanwhile, Sage is this crazy blonde with gorgeous green eyes and a bubbly personality. And then there is me, with pitch black hair and plain blue eyes. I am a bitch and quite frankly, I do not give a fuck about that either. Sage drives a red BMW while I drive a black Lamborghini Aventador.  Sage has a 2 year long boyfriend while I just do one night stands. So if you are a dumb fucker and can't tell, we are polar opposites. 

"Oh come on, maybe you'll find some hotties."

She wiggles her eyebrows as I chuck a pillow at her and laugh along with her.

"We'll see."

I answer back to entertain her. She starts jumping around and already planning a double wedding. Ugh this girl.

I roll my eyes at her playfully.

Yeah, I doubt I'll find anybody attractive there.

Uh so this was the first paragraph. I know that it's short but like, I can't be bothered rn. NAHH IM JOKING. I'm just trying to see where this story goes. We'll see. The chapters will get longer.

Tell me what you think bout it thooo. LOVE YALLLL.