66| Chocolate Cupcake

RHETT'S POV

RHETT'S POV

*Flashback*

The warm sun and humidity hit my face as I descended the school bus's stairs.

Waving a goodbye to my only friend, I stepped onto the pavement, and began walking down the street.

Excitement rushed inside my heart as my veins protruded with adrenaline. A chocolate cupcake was the reason for these energetic feelings, which I received from my teacher today at lunch.

Holding it in my hand, I walked down the gravel road towards my house; the house that appeared as normal as any other from the outside, turns monstrous on the inside.

The screams and terrors of pain and pleadings were kept well hidden by the walls of that house.

Letting go of these unsettling feelings, I decided not to dwell on them as I looked at the small cupcake in my hand, a smile automatically returned to my face.

I have been waiting to get home to share this little piece of heaven with my Mom and Brianne— my older sister. The urge to eat it right at the school was overwhelming, but I knew that Mom and Brianne loved chocolate, so I had to bring it back home.

When the house came in view, a sigh of relief left me as I saw no sign of Dad's car parked outside.

My fast strides turned to running as I reached the door with joy. After entering the house, I took my shoes off, putting them on the shoe rack and I happily strode inside searching for mom.

"Mom, look what I got for you and Anne (Brianne)." My 7-year-old voice exclaimed happily.

I entered the kitchen and my feet stopped by the door as I saw my mom sitting on the chair of the dinning table, staring into the distance.

She didn't even realise that I'd come home.

Her shoulders were slumped as her extremely thin and pale arms wrapped around her frail body. Her eyes looked so tired as they kept staring in the distance.

My heart ached seeing my mother so depressed and hurt. Her eyes were filled with unshed tears, and a sad expression clouded her beautiful face.

I despise my father for inflicting pain on my mother.

And all I wanted was to grow up fast so I could save my mom and my older sister.