Chapter 31

Y/N POV

Recovery has been good. Ever since I returned to full training, I was able to train with no pain at all which is a really good sign for my knee. The past few weeks, I have been playing some games with the under 23s. At first, I was limited to 45 minutes of action but my playing time have gradually increased. Just last week, I have played my first full 90 minutes since I got injured which was a really big milestone for me. I was able to settle in to the game and get used to the pacing of the game which wasn't really that difficult as the level of play in the Premier League 2 is not as high as what I am used to. My pace and stamina has also increased which means I am really close to full match fitness and shape.

With Jurgen Klopp closely monitoring my progress with the under 23s, he has suddenly decided to include me back into the first team for the upcoming games so I could get a string of game time at top level to get my match form fully back before the end of the season.

We were playing against Southampton away and this will be my first time being included in the match day squad of a Premier League game since the injury. I was very excited and it feels like it was my debut all over again. I was also very nervous because I really want to perform well on this return and hopefully at least let Gareth Southgate know that I am prepared for the call up to go to the World Cup in Qatar.

Jurgen Klopp: Right we have been in really good form so far so we will continue our playing style regardless what Southampton's tactics are. Here's our lineup for today's game.

 Here's our lineup for today's game

First Half

The first half went on pretty smoothly for us. Our midfield was always able to turn over possession and create a lot of chances for Salah and Diogo Jota in front. It was looking very good as we were able to play our normal game like we used to do and even with Danny Ings up front, Southampton was struggling to register any threatening shots. 

Even though we have all the chances, we were failing to put the ball in the back of the net. We tried long balls from the back but Janiik Vestergaard was able to clear them away while our wingers were being mark tightly by the Southampton full backs. With Southampton having a really strong defensive platform the first half ended up as a goalless draw. 

Southampton 0-0 Liverpool

Half Time

Jurgen Klopp: Right, I know it's not been ideal and we are stuck in a 0-0 draw with Southampton, but we were playing really well. We were creating a lot of chances so keep up the good work for the second half. I'm sure a goal would come.

Second Half

Like the first half, we were struggling to score any goals. We were creating a lot of chances in the attacking half but it was clear that we were lacking that threat in attack. On the other hand, Southampton came out of the changing room like they were another team. During halftime they made one change and brought on Djnepo which was causing a lot of trouble for Trent Alexander Arnold on the right hand side. With Trent constantly overlapping on the right, Djnepo has a lot of free space to run down the right hand side of the pitch causing a lot of problems for our defence. It was looking as if Southampton are going to take the lead here.

53rd Minute

Another 10 minutes or so of Djnepo running down our right hand side like he owns the right flank, things were looking really shaky for us. Djnepo once again found space getting in behind Trent and cut inside back into the centre of the pitch. Once he was outside our box, he did a step over to get over Nathaniel Phillips and took a shot. The ball was struck so cleanly and it tested our goalkeeper Alisson, luckily, it was not on target. It was a goal kick to us but I'm sure it was a sign that Jurgen Klopp had to change things up a little bit. I was currently on the sidelines doing some warm ups when I heard the call from Jurgen Klopp.

Jurgen Klopp: Y/N come over. Right, I need you to go out and do what you do best. Create space in the middle by roaming from the centre of the pitch then darting to the flanks. You and Mo will do a crossover type run and it will create space in the middle when you draw one of the centre backs with you to the flanks.

Stadium Announcer: Substitution for Liverpool, coming off the pitch number 9 Roberto Firmino, and coming on the pitch number 25 Y/N.

61st Minute

I was only on the pitch for about 5 minutes and I was already making a big impact in the game. Like Jurgen Klopp said, I was able to draw the centre backs towards the flank with my runs off the ball therefore creating more space for Diogo Jota or Mo Salah in the centre of the park. We were having more shots inside the box but a few of them were saved by Alex McCarthy.

Currently Trent had the ball on the right hand side of our defensive third. I spotted some space behind Romain Perraud. I quickly called for the ball which Trent placed it really nicely with my run as I sprinted down the right hand side of the wing. Mo Salah ran towards the centre waiting for the cut back. However, Trent's ball was a bit too powerful and I had to increase my pace to try and keep it in play. I ran as fast as I could but it wasn't enough, I saw the advertising board getting closer and closer as I had no choice but to immediately stop my run. I must have pulled some muscles near my knee in doing so because I was feeling serious pain before I bashed my leg into the advertising board. I quickly called for the medical to come over as I was suffering from serious pain right now. 

Uh oh, what happened to Y/N? Continue reading to find out. And yes I did upload 2 chapters in one day. Since there are still a lot of time before today ends I might surprise you with another chapter later tonight. So add this story to your library or follow me to never miss and update.

Sorry if you don't really like match day chapters but I had to include these chapters in the book or else the book would be very weird. But I promise I will try to reduce the amount of match day chapters as the story comes near the end.

Thank you very much for all your support in the past chapters and we are so close to reaching 4K reads so share this story amongst your friends. Let's try and get to 4K reads before this week ends. Don't forget to vote for this chapter and please make sure you vote along as you read future chapters.