Chapter 25

Y/N POV

We were heading off to Wembley today for the home fixture against Hungary. This is my first ever time playing at Wembley and it was as an England player as well. It was a very special moment for me and it was like a dream come true. When I was young, I have been at Wembley watching England games but to play in this pitch was just something else. The team bus wasn't even anywhere near Wembley and I was already full of different emotions. 

As we arrived at Wembley, there were cameras everywhere filming our arrival. It feels like all the spotlight was on me. This was my first ever senior team call up and my first time in the England squad. All the pressure and spotlight is taking over me and I can't handle it. Thankfully, I managed to not crack and got into the changing room where there aren't any cameras filming us. Once we entered the changing room, I took some time for myself to calm down a bit before I started listening to Gareth Southgate's team talk.

Gareth Southgate: Right a few new faces for today's game but we'll be playing our usual football. We want to score early and then start defending. Hungary are dangerous going forward as they have nothing to lose, so we need to be aware of that.

I looked at the team sheet and I wasn't selected for the starting lineup, which means my first ever England cap will have to wait. Maybe this was for the better of me because I need to settle into the team first. I was still very nervous at this point but knowing that I will not be starting, I feel like the pressure has eased off me a little bit. After the team talk, I went to the bench and sat down waiting for the game to start. 

Standing up for the national anthem, it was a very emotional situation for me. I teared up a little bit when I heard the stadium play God Save the Queen and the whole stadium belting out the national anthem together with the players. When I was small, I always sing along with the players when I was watching the England games on TV. Today was different, I am singing this national anthem while representing my own country. It was just too much for me to take.

First Half

Hungary started the game really attacking. Like Gareth Southgate said, they had nothing to lose whilst we have everything to lose. We were being constantly outplayed by Hungary at the start of the game and things does look good for us. I was extremely tense for the team because it looked like we were getting battered by Hungary but my teammates on the bench seemed calm. Maybe this was Gareth's game plan all along, invite Hungary into pressuring us. So we can hit them on the counter

12th Minute

Turns out, my prediction was correct. We were inviting pressure onto us so we could hit Hungary on the counter attack. The Hungarian attacker Loic Nego had a shot straight at our goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. Jordan Pickford quickly throw the ball out towards Kyle Walker who brings charged down the right flank, completely catching out Fiola completely. In doing so, Kyle Walker had managed to pull Attila Szalai to mark him leaving Harry Kane in the middle all free and alone. Kyle Walker put a cross into the box aiming for Harry Kane. However, Willy Orban managed to win the header in the air. The ball then bounced back to Phil Foden who tried a shot and managed to score from the edge of the box. What a goal it was, top corner, Peter Gulacsi had no chance in saving that. We are jumped up from the bench and started celebrated because we knew this goal takes us one step closer for the 2022 Qatar World Cup.

England 1-0 Hungary

Halftime

We kept the narrow lead of 1-0 into the dressing room. It was a really strange half because we knew we are the better team, but Hungary are playing like they were the better team. Loic Nego and Adam Szalai are really dangerous going forward and have been a threat to our defensive line. However, all of their attempts failed to test out goalkeeper Jordan Pickford so we ended up heading into the dressing room with the 1-0 lead.

Second Half

We kicked off the second half and at the start of the second half, we managed to maintain possession. Playing the boring football that nobody who was watching liked it, the only good thing is that the fans were belting out the chants keeping the atmosphere alive. Keeping and recycling possession means that Hungary are unable to get the ball at all and we are looking like we will be seeing out the game even though the second half has only started.

84th Minute

The game has been really boring so far, nothing much has happened. Gareth Southgate has told me to warm up with a few other players like Jude Bellingham and Reece James. We have been warming up for a while now, I don't know what Gareth Southgate wants because it was a bit too late to bring on anyone. There is only one more sub left anyways so if it were to bring one player on it was going to be one of us. I was watching the game and Phil Foden has the ball now. We continued to play this possession game for the whole second half. Phil Foden was dribbling down the middle trying to beat Adam Nagy when Adam Nagy put in a very late tackle taking out Phil Foden. He was in so much pain right now and I can see it from the sidelines. It was a really terrible tackle and the stadium knows it, everyone was chanting for Nagy to get sent off while the physio ran out to give Phil Foden some treatment.

Gareth Southgate: Y/N come over here.

I was suddenly called to the technical area by Gareth Southgate. As I looked over onto the pitch, the physios doesn't look happy and the situation with Phil Foden might be serious and the physios were signalling that Phil Foden is unable to continue the game.

Gareth Southgate: Y/N, no pressure. It's the 84th minute and we are winning so just go out there and enjoy yourself. Bring home the win.

This was it, my moment. My first ever England cap. Even though it's not what I imagined and hoped for, but nevertheless it's still an England cap. I am not going to let this opportunity slide past me.

Stadium Announcer: Substitution for England, coming off the pitch number 10 Phil Foden and coming on the pitch number 13 Y/N L/N.

Once the fourth official allowed me to be on the pitch, I ran onto the pitch and dropped immediately behind Harry Kane. I need to prove myself here even if there is only 6 minutes left in the game. There wasn't much I could in terms of impacting the game, most of the time I got the ball I was forced to make short passes which means I can't really play my usual football. A few more minutes of possession football later the referee blew the final whistle signalling the end of the game. We all celebrated because we are now one step closer to the 2022 Qatar World Cup. It was truly a special moment for me to make my England National Team Debut.

England 1-0 Hungary

I still can't believe it, I have officially had my first ever England cap. As I entered the changing room, I sat on my seat and let all of what just happened sink in. This isn't just a dream, this actually happened. Thinking back to the day I left Seoul and Tzuyu, the moment I made my England debut might have just justified my decision back then. Now I can proudly tell you I have made the correct decision of leaving Seoul for my career. Hopefully many England caps are to come in the future.

Ok so I've finally updated this book after a week. It has been really hectic ever since I last updated this book. But now that the Euros has finished, I have more time to update I'd like to say because I don't have to sleep in the afternoon anymore.

I didn't really plan on making Y/N get his first England cap but as I saw England playing boring football in the Euros I thought I'd write this chapter just to take the piss a little bit on Southgate's tactics. 

Thank you very much for reading this book and please continue to read this book. I promise that this will not be purely a football book. It's all building towards a very special ending so just bear with me for a few more chapters. Also, if you haven't please vote for this chapter and vote along as you read this book for future chapters.