12. Plan B Revealed

Jake's POV

As soon as we entered the premises, I tried my best to hide my face. I was so afraid that the patients and staff would recognize me, and soon Sunghoon would start asking questions.

I kept my distance and watched Sunghoon from afar.

Everything seemed fine as he engaged in storytelling with his assigned patient, until I saw my mom approach him.

Holy shit, she recognized him, and wait, is she holding a rock? Where did she even get that from?

"Are you the president's son?" I heard her ask Sunghoon.

Suddenly, she flew into a fit of rage. Then I saw her about to strike Sunghoon with a rock.

What the hell?

What's happening to her? I immediately rushed over and intervened, stopping her.

"Arrête maman. Tu ne veux pas lui faire de mal. Ce n'est pas toi." I spoke in French. Then she started crying.

"Stop, Mom. You don't want to hurt him. It's not you."

"Pourquoi m'arrêtez-vous, Jake?"

"Why are you stopping me, Jake?"

"Maman, ce n'était pas sa faute. C'est le travail de papa de les protéger. Il connaît le danger et ce pour quoi il s'est engagé."

"Mom, it wasn't his fault. It's Dad's job to protect them. He knows the danger and what he signed up for."

"But he's all I have."

"That's not true, Mom. I'm still here. I'm your son."

"How many times do I have to tell you that you are not my child?" Everybody around us was surprised, except for me, of course. She always says that to me.

"You're that bitch's child." Okay, that's new.

Who is that bitch she's referring to? Is that my real mother?

"Mom, who are you talking about?"

"She was your father's---" Then a group of nurses grabbed her arm and dragged her away from me.

"Wait, what are you saying, Mom?" I wanted to run after her, but they stopped me.

"We're sorry, Mr. Shim, but this is not the right time to talk to her."

"But-"

"Please, you'll only worsen her condition."

I couldn't do anything. Now, I'm convinced that she isn't my mom.

But who is she?

And why was it kept hidden from me?

Why didn't Dad say anything? I'm feeling so frustrated.

"Jake, tell me the truth. Why is your mother here?" Great! I forgot about Sunghoon.

This is such a mess. I looked at him and remained silent, then Soobin approached.

"Sunghoon, it's not the time for that. We're here for the charity event. Let's focus on that." He sighed.

"You're right. We'll talk again later, Jake." Then he walked away, leaving me to process everything while he focused on the event.

"Thank you so much," I whispered to Soobin.

He took hold of my arm and said, "You're welcome. He'll be fine, don't worry."

•••

Sunghoon's POV

The event went well, despite the earlier incident. We were fortunate that the media wasn't allowed inside the venue, so only those present knew what had happened.