15. I Promise to Keep You Safe

Jake's POV

When I entered Sunghoon's room, he was already smiling and talking to everybody, but you could see that he was weak.

I'm so happy that he's okay, but I'm also heartbroken because he had to get hurt like that under my care.

"My Prince, I'm so glad you're awake now," said Mr. President, hugging him.

"I can't believe what you did for love," Mr. President remarked.

I noticed his face blushing.

"Appa, I'm still weak. Don't start with me yet," he complained.

"Yeah, honey, he's right. Give him some time. When he recovers, then we can—" Mrs. Park started to say.

"Eomma? Really? Can you guys leave me and Jake alone for now?"

"Hyung can't wait to kiss Jake, huh?" Then a flying pillow landed on Sunoo's face.

"What the fuck, Heeseung, why didn't you protect me? The pillow just hit my face," Sunoo complained to Heeseung.

"It's just a pillow, Mr. Kim. Besides, you shouldn't—" Then Sunoo just dragged Heeseung out.

They're so funny. They're like real siblings.

Anyway, Heeseung always wanted to have a baby sister. I guess Sunoo fits that role, except he's a brother.

"Alright, we'll go out now so you can do what you want to do with Jake. Besides, you deserve it for risking your life for him."

"Oh my god, I feel like my wounds are reopening because of you guys," he said, annoyed.

"Alright...okay, everybody out. Let's leave them now so I can win the bet," Mr. President winked at Sunghoon, and then everybody left. Now it's just me and him.

He signaled for me to sit down next to him. He tried to sit down too, and I immediately helped him.

I was so surprised when he touched the bruises on my face. My God, I couldn't help but blush.

"How are you, Jake? Aren't you hurt anywhere?"

"Are you kidding me? I'm totally fine, unlike you. Why did you do that?"

"I already told you why. And I also wanted to explain."

"Explain about the Plan B?" Then he nodded.

"My Plan B was to make you fall in love with me and then break your heart so you would leave me. Though I'll tell you honestly, I already liked you at that time. I was thinking that if I kept you with me, you would end up like Ahjussi. I don't think I could handle it if you died in my arms. You know, like the quote from John Wick 3, 'Sometimes you have to kill your love to keep them safe.' I was so determined to do that, but when I learned about those tragic things that happened to you, I realized I didn't have the heart to break you again. I don't want to see you cry anymore, Jake. I also realized that being broken inside is far worse than physical pain."

Oh my gosh, I'm so speechless right now.

"I just want to do Sunoo's Plan C," he whispered.

Huh? I didn't hear that.

"What did you say, Sunghoon?"

"So instead of my Plan B, I want you to train me how to fight."

"Huh? What? Teach you how to fight?"

"Yep, like how to defend myself so that way you don't always have to worry about me and so that you can fight better."

"But you don't—" Then he held my hand.

"Please, Jake. It's for myself as well." I sighed.

"If that's what you want, as soon as you recover, I'll teach you how. So you better be ready."

He smiled widely. Omooo, my heart. He's so pretty, and it's confirmed, he likes me, right? So I touched the side of his face and gently kissed him on his lips.

I closed my eyes and savored the moment when he responded with so much passion and love. I swear my heartbeats were louder than the machine beeping in his room.

We stopped when someone knocked on the door. Who the hell is it? I opened the door and saw the nurse with some of his medicines.

I just smiled at him and said, "Will I be fired?"

"Of course not. You're stuck with me from now on." Then Sunoo peeked through the door.

"Are you guys done kiss—" Sunghoon glared at him. "I mean, are you done talking now?"

I nodded to Sunoo. "Yes, you guys can come in again."

"I can't believe my son just kicked me out of his room. I mean, I'm the President of the country, and yet..."

"Honey, here you're just his plain dad."

"You're right. Anyways, who will give me my $1,000 for my bet?"

"What bet, honey?"

"Oh my gosh, honey, you're aging already." Then everybody gasped.

You don't tell your wife she's aging unless you want to die early.

"What did you just say?" She's pissed off, I can tell.

I saw Mr. President's face change into that of a scared dog.

"Ahhmmm ho—ney, I sa—id you're th-e mo-st beautiful in the world. You know the bet, I bet $1000 that Sunghoon would let Jake kiss him."

Then Mrs. Park changed her expression, and Mr. President was relieved he's safe.

"Sunghoon will pay," she said.

"Why me?"

"Because I agree with your dad."

"You guys are unbelievable. Alright, I'll transfer it to your account." Then everybody's jaw dropped. They were so surprised.

I facepalmed myself. He just let himself get caught in a trap.

"Hyung, did you just confirm that you let Jake kiss you?" Sunoo said.

Then suddenly Sunghoon's face turned so red as he realized what he said. Then he didn't respond anymore. Soon everybody was laughing.

"I should just die," he said.

Then Mrs. Park immediately sat next to him and hugged him. "Shhhhh... alright, we're sorry, honey." Then Mrs. Park looked at everybody and winked to signal them to stop and apologize.

"I'm sorry, my Prince. I'm just so happy you're okay now. Please don't do it again next time," Mr. President said.

"Hyung, I'm sorry too. I love you. I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you," Sunoo added.

I just shook my head and smiled at them. They were such good people, and I felt warm whenever I was with them.

They are my family now, and I will do everything to keep them safe, even if that means I have to fight my mom.

I looked at Sunghoon and told myself, "I promise to keep you safe, my love."

•••

"C'est le moment. Installez les bombes. Assurez-vous de les mettre dans tous les coins de leur maison. Je veux la mort du président et de toute sa famille."

"Now is the time. Set up the bombs. Make sure to put them in every corner of their house. I want the President and his whole family dead."

"Oui, madame. Ça ira."

"Yes, madam. It will be done."

•••

~:)~