Chapter 23: A Broken Wall

Start from the beginning

"And why did it trigger that?" He stepped closer, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. If there's one thing he knew about Raine, it's that she couldn't hide her emotions well.

She walked towards the more open area behind him, a few steps away in the distance. "Because...you would have gotten defensive."

Why would I get defensive? You said your ability didn't affect me~

"You should answer my question quickly then~" His voice unsure of how he should feel. The atmosphere changed drastically, an empty, dry space stirred between them.

"Hisoka..." Although she created the distance, her stance wasn't intimidated if he came closer. In fact, it was quite relaxed. She exhaled, not breaking eye contact.

"I-I saw your past..." Her eyes were soft, but her brows cinched anxiously.

Hisoka's eyes widened. A breath escaped his lips. The air around him snapped.

Sh-she...

He recalled her crying last night, her weighted aura this morning. Her pity. Her pity? She always pitied him. His thoughts couldn't form. His past was his past. It didn't exist anymore and yet she brought it up. His heart thumped heavily. The walls he built up were shuttering precariously. This girl had walked right through, so easily. He clenched his muscles, aggravated by her breakthrough. Disturbed. No one had ever gotten this close to him before. No one...

Kill her~

He launched himself at Raine, pinning her against the tree behind her, his hands on the ragged tree bark, caging her in. She stiffened in defense. A slight cringe from his pressuring aura. The background faded into nothingness, the only presence was them and them alone. His expression struck with predatory eyes. "How unfortunate for you~" his voice slithered.

An ability more powerful than Pakunoda. More powerful than a member of the spider. Does she really think she can win by understanding my past? She might actually win with a power like that~

Though he didn't know what to say, his body naturally gave off his unpleasant thoughts. His blood lust slowly gurgled through the surface.

"I would fight back if I were you, now isn't the time to be patient with me~"

Kill her~

A secret only he knew about, and she took it away. Both of their bodies were tense, but she did not budge. The only reason he didn't smile and walk away, was because she would keep picking at him. She would see him differently in this battle. She would continue seeing through him. So now, all that was left was to kill her, with his secrets falling with it. Last-second adjustments were always an option with unfit prey.

"I'm sorry Hisoka," was all she mustered. A soft, pathetic whisper.

His eyes trailed down her small figure. Her bones could snap like a twig. He grinned maliciously, the sadistic killer he was, rising to the surface. His crazed eyes overcame his humanity.

He chuckled darkly. "Now it would have been smart to keep your mouth shut don't you think? Such a bad girl..." Hisoka's finger traced to her chin, lifting it up to expose her neck, "...and a nosy one might I add~"

He bore his empty eyes into her neck as the same hand moved to her throat, his thumb slowly caressing her skin. His whole hand could wrap around it. His nails could slice her veins. So simple, so easy. Why shouldn't he hold back anymore?

She was holding her hand against his chest, keeping him at bay. He took it off, placing it to the tree, pinning her wrist against the rough bark. Though the movement was slow, Raine's eyes grew wider and wider, pressing her own body back against the tree in discomfort. His eyes fixated on her aura which slowly dwindled as his grew louder, pulsating against her little blockade of energy. She took a sharp inhale, sweat glinting on her forehead.